what is this engine noise? with video by grsychckn
Started on: 08-19-2014 08:22 PM
Replies: 9 (224 views)
Last post by: grsychckn on 08-23-2014 09:50 AM
grsychckn

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up this car from a fellow member last weekend in a swap for mine. He suggested it might be the oil pump but it seems so intermittent I'm not sure. I'll confirm tomorrow but it appears as if the oil pressure gauge stays high when the engine makes the sound. I'm thinking something in the valve train but not sure. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks in advance.

Fiero engine noise
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
army_greywolf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for army_greywolfSend a Private Message to army_greywolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the car a manual transmission by chance?
grsychckn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, sorry. It is an 88gt manual and the video is of it idling.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grsychckn:

I'm thinking something in the valve train but not sure. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks in advance.

Fiero engine noise

I've posted this a number of times. Seriously, it's worthwhile using one of these things.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Eliminate the guesswork and spend a whole four bucks on a Mechanic's Stethoscope !

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the noise go away with the clutch pushed in? If so, its probably just neutral rattle from the Getrag.

-Mitch
grsychckn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've posted this a number of times. Seriously, it's worthwhile using one of these things.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

Eliminate the guesswork and spend a whole four bucks on a Mechanic's Stethoscope !

[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I ordered mine yesterday. I should have it today. I'll use it and update the thread.
grsychckn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok engaging the clutch makes no difference in the noise but I found tonight that makes the noise after a spike in throttle so I recorded another clip. Also, it appears as if it's coming from the firewall side of the engine (as heard on the stethoscope). Could this be piston slapping?

video two

Listen carefully as the engine revs down for the noise.
plane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for planeSend a Private Message to planeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clacking. Generally a valve/lifter issue. The valves/pushrods might need adjustment. Sounds similar to when overhead cam cars sit for a long time and you get valve racket until the lifter refill with oil. So valve lash adjustment or maybe some bad lifters or - Did car sit for more than 2 weeks?
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by plane:

Clacking. Generally a valve/lifter issue. The valves/pushrods might need adjustment. Sounds similar to when overhead cam cars sit for a long time and you get valve racket until the lifter refill with oil. So valve lash adjustment or maybe some bad lifters or - Did car sit for more than 2 weeks?

I'd go for that as well

jon

[This message has been edited by jon m (edited 08-23-2014).]

grsychckn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by plane:

I just picked up the car last week and am not sure how long it sat. The previous owner informed me that it has been making that noise while he owned it (drove it approximately 3k miles). I have to pull off the valve covers soon anyway as the gaskets are leaking so I can check the valve lash then (although I've never done it and it appears there are several prevailing opinions on how). How would I determine if a lifter needs replacing? If one (or more) does, can I do that without tearing the engine down and replacing the cam as well?

Also, I purchased a high volume oil pump to install - would this help "unstick" a lifter?

Thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock