Can anyone ID this body kit? by thrashercharged
Started on: 08-19-2014 06:28 PM
Replies: 15 (617 views)
Last post by: Archie on 08-23-2014 09:49 PM
thrashercharged

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thrasherchargedSend a Private Message to thrasherchargedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car has been in our local CL - the seller says the guy he bought it from told him that it was all custom hand laid fiberglass, not a kit, but I have a hard time believing that. I figured someone here would be able to confirm whether it was a custom one off or not.

http://tippecanoe.craigslis.../cto/4556521034.html

Anyone recognize it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks to be a combination of a few parts, but it's not a kit. Definitely custom.

Bob
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever it is I'd say it looks nice and maybe a great deal. Did I read right - does it not have an actual top at the moment?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it.

I'd worry about how it drives with the roof missing but I still like it.

If the body is as good as the pics look, it's worth $3K anyday.

Archie
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you knew all the work to make that, EASILY worth $3k.
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a sharp car! Love when the first gen look of a coupe gets made into a 'kit'.. if that targa top is done right,then that's a heck of a deal!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd recommend snapping that up before it disappears.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not generally a fan of Fiero body kits, but that looks pretty nice. I wish there was a picture of the back!

It'd definitely be worth three grand to me - poor choice of transmissions notwithstanding.
jholda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jholdaSend a Private Message to jholdaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey thrashercharged! Cool you're from kokomo my hometown is not far from there, and I got my B.S. in chemistry from I.U.K!

Anyway, I saw that same car and wondered that too. I look on CL from back home just to see what's up for sale incase I need to make a trip back lol. I would have to say its very unique and probably worth 3k$ just my 2 cents.
thrashercharged

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thrasherchargedSend a Private Message to thrasherchargedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jholda - yep, lived here in Kokomo for 24 years, when did you graduate from IUK and where's your hometown?

I asked about the roof and there's not one. So the seller is correct that it is a custom job. I'm curious why anyone would put that much work in a car and sell it unfinished. I've no idea how to build a targa roof for it, guess I'll have to see it first and see what the guy has done to prepare for inserting a roof and how he planned on attaching it. The only targa roof I'm familiar with is the C4 Corvette ones. I suppose it'll have to be made out of a donor car's roof. Any suggestions/ideas? The lack of a roof would be the only negative as I see it, well, aside from the automatic. I assume the car must be a '85 GT?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If possible I'd get a metal piece back in there and go T top.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the car have a boxed add on frame welded to tie in all of the critical uni-body frame points together? I used heavy 1" x 3" square steel channel that goes all the way from the rear cradle to the front suspension support and I am still worried that it might not be enough for my rag top build. That's what the manufacturer of the Brisa /California Convertible Kit recommended but if I am not mistaken Archie used a more beefed up add on frame when he built his open top roadster.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Does the car have a boxed add on frame welded to tie in all of the critical uni-body frame points together? I used heavy 1" x 3" square steel channel that goes all the way from the rear cradle to the front suspension support and I am still worried that it might not be enough for my rag top build. That's what the manufacturer of the Brisa /California Convertible Kit recommended but if I am not mistaken Archie used a more beefed up add on frame when he built his open top roadster.

The 1x3 is a good start, but for best results you should also beef up the upper part of the center console tunnel.
thrashercharged

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thrasherchargedSend a Private Message to thrasherchargedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The seller sent me some more photos. What's the consensus? Looks like the car is an SE, not a GT. I wish he'd made it for dual exhaust outlets. The seller said bought it in mid Michigan and the guy was selling it for his brother so he never got a chance to talk to the body guy. No good pics of the roof - any opinions on how to finish it? What should I be looking for underside to see if they reinforced it properly for the lack of the roof?

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thrashercharged:

What should I be looking for underside to see if they reinforced it properly for the lack of the roof?

[/URL]

Take it for a test drive - you should be able to tell if it has been re-inforced properly enough.

For the top, I'd have an upholstery shop make a piece of canvas with snaps to cover the top when necessary then go out and enjoy it . I would definitely not agonize with trying to fabricate an exact factory-type targa or t-top.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 08-23-2014).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like the kit that B&B out of Florida had at the Daytona show years ago.

The one they had was Gold but I'm pretty sure it's from those molds.

The rear pictures make me sure that body came from them. I had suspected that this was one of them but now the rear pics. comfirm it.

Notice how the rear clip, rear bumper, 1/4 panels rocker panels & front fenders are all glassed together No seams means no removing body for paint or repair without cutting somewhere.

Archie

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock