TPS adjustment by donuteater306
Started on: 08-18-2014 11:32 PM
Replies: 6 (1066 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 09-16-2014 12:27 AM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How critical is it to get the TPS on my 87GT to hit 5 volts at WOT? The best I can get is 4.46v.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will never get 5v at WOT. What you are getting is normal. No problems with it like it is.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang it! Well, my motto is "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!" Good thing I read this before I tried bending the little tab and having it snap off! hahaha, thanks!
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

donuteater306

688 posts
Member since Feb 2010
What brought me to start checking is this annoying hesitation the 1st time I put any load on the engine after started cold. It starts beautifully, and settles to a decent idle. But the 1st time I release the clutch to drive off, I get a hesitation and stumble. Then she accelerates smooth.

From then on, no hesitation but until she warms-up, I can't coordinate the clutch and gas for a smooth shift going from 1st to 2nd. It's like she hiccups as soon as you release the clutch enough to start giving gas. But as soon as she warms-up, problem goes away.

I was thinking that my temp sensor might be borderline but when I hooked my scanner, Air temp, coolant temp were dead on with ambient temp. I've cleaned the IAC, tune-up parts have about 10k on em.

When I saw that the TPS wasn't hitting 5v at wot, I thought maybe it's out of adjustment just enough to cause an issue when cold but the computer adjust for it when it warms. heh, I guess not.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was having issues with my '84 duke that were difficult to pin down, as discussed HERE. At first I thought it was a problem with the MAP sensor as the engine ran better when I disconnected it electrically. To make a long story short, it was a lack of fuel pressure.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306: When I saw that the TPS wasn't hitting 5v at wot, I thought maybe it's out of adjustment just enough to cause an issue when cold but the computer adjust for it when it warms. heh, I guess not.

Actually, the TPS voltage at idle is more important than at WOT. The book says it should be under 1 Volt at idle. But in my experience, the "sweet spot" is around 0.5 - 0.6 Volts.

BTW, have you checked the MAP sensor readings?
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received and installed new Delco MAP, CTS, and TPSs today. Before starting the eng, I checked with my scanner and saw that at closed throttle, the TPS was reading .13v. Since that's below 1v, I started the engine and got an instant SES Light with a TPS code. Engine was hunting around and stalled. Double checked everything. Cleared the code and restarted. Instant SES light with TPS code 22. Reinstalled my old TPS, closed throttle it's at .99v. Start it up, no code. Is it a defective sensor or do I need to oval out the screw holes to be able to adjust it?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock