Watery Exhaust by hoseppy
Started on: 08-17-2014 06:20 PM
Replies: 22 (620 views)
Last post by: hoseppy on 08-21-2014 09:44 PM
hoseppy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoseppySend a Private Message to hoseppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son (15) and I are new to the Fiero world. We had let it sit for just a few weeks and had had some rain and went out to start it and let it run for a bit. We try to take it out at least 1x per week, he's learning to drive the 5sp. Anyway, we started it and had lots (2 cups maybe) of rust colored water leaked down below, felt like water, did not smell of anti freeze. Coolant level is fine and has remainded steady (we replaced the radiator and coolant shortly after we got it, 2 mos ago) It looks like it came from the muffler (which has what looks to be a small hole drilled in it, not a broken rusted out looking hole). It has steamed some when we've started it after rain before, kinda figure it was condisation maybe the way the tips tilt up its getting more in that way. Is there a place to look for rain water getting into the system? Or anything else we should look for?

The exhaust is rusty, looks original, will probably have to be replaced.

Thanks y'all

H

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds about normal. OEM exhaust is stainless, fyi
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hoseppy:

The exhaust is rusty, looks original, will probably have to be replaced.

The original exhaust system is stainless steel. Unless it's damaged and/or leaking, leave it alone. Rainwater/condensation is not going to hurt it. The original cat may need replacing by now though.

hoseppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoseppySend a Private Message to hoseppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. So should there be a hole in the muffler?

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks guys. So should there be a hole in the muffler?

No... There should not be a hole in the muffler. The only holes are exhaust gas in, and dual exhaust out. No other holes. Stainless steel can and does rust. I lived on a boat for 4 years, trust me.

-Mitch

------------------
My Car - 87' GT 3800sc
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

No... There should not be a hole in the muffler. The only holes are exhaust gas in, and dual exhaust out. No other holes. Stainless steel can and does rust. I lived on a boat for 4 years, trust me.

Sorry Mitch, we can now no longer trust you.

Every Fiero I've ever had (seven of them), and every Fiero I've ever looked at (plenty) has had a small hole from the factory on the side of the muffler at the bottom. This is to allow condensation to drain out.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

-Mitch

Yes, there are small holes in muffler, to let water out. Look at the ends of an OEM muffler.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

WICKEDWILDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WICKEDWILDFIEROSend a Private Message to WICKEDWILDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum.
PFF
System Bot
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would bet that 99% of cars from the factory have holes in at least one spot in the exhaust.

It provides drainage for that exact reason, whether it be from rain or washing the car or condensation, the holes let the water escape so that the water does not sit and rot the exhaust from the inside out.
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To the OP:

I get that exact same rusty water coming out of my 87 after rain. My exhaust isn't original and is rusted, so it's normal.

The small whole in the muffler is also normal, my 88 has it as well.

------------------
Ben
87 GT / 88 GT
84 Indy #1863

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum, glad to see a young person learn to drive a manual transmission.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All i meant was this is not normal

This is...

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 08-19-2014).]

hoseppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoseppySend a Private Message to hoseppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all, I am a little concerned about the rust though.

H

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That hole should not be there, that appears to be a rust hole or a hole some previous owner drilled, the factory hole is smaller and is on the end like mitchjl22's second picture, not the side.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-20-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks to all, I am a little concerned about the rust though.

Judging from your pictures, I'd be more concerned about your car's wheel alignment/camber/suspension. Those tires are shot.

It looks like that hole in the center of your muffler has been drilled (for added condensation drainage purposes). Unless the metal around the hole is weak (or the muffler sounds bad), I wouldn't worry about the surface rust.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know at least some of my cars have a drain hole in the muffler. The motorhome does it one better....it has a fitting with a socket hex plug in the bottom of it. The manual recommends opening it several times a year with the engine running.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regarding condensation and exhaust rust, couldnt one wait til the exhaust cools off the start it and only let it run maybe 10 seconds, with a rev, and shut it off, thus blowing out the condensation and not getting the pipe warm enough to create more? Something maybe to be done before storage.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

...couldnt one wait til the exhaust cools off the start it and only let it run maybe 10 seconds, with a rev, and shut it off, thus blowing out the condensation

Condensation pools inside the muffler. The drilled holes are supposed to be as close as possible to where this pooling takes place to allow for drainage. IMO, water that's pooled elsewhere is not all going to be blown out of anywhere within ten seconds.

A bit of water sitting in a stainless steel muffler isn't going to be a huge issue.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldnt worry about the surface rust on pipes. I put a new exhaust system on the generator of the motorhome last month. It already looks that bad and I only put a few hundred miles on it. I think the mufflers stainless though...it looks fine. All the exhaust pipes on new cars sitting on the dealer lots are rusty too.
hoseppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoseppySend a Private Message to hoseppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick, that's on the list. We've only had the car 2 mos and are knocking things off 1x1. Gotta get the lights fixed (sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down), a/c converted, radio fixed. We're not driving regularly just yet, so we've got a few months.

Thanks again everybody!

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock