Started on: 08-17-2014 10:49 AM
Replies: 5 (273 views)
Last post by: litespd on 08-21-2014 12:50 AM
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an oddball situation. I bought one of the later model Pontiac radios with CD player and equalizer. Not long ago, the display light burned out. This wasn't a huge problem, because I had all of my stations programmed in, and all I had to do was push the button for the station I wanted. The other day, I had to take my car in to have some work done, and they unhooked the battery, causing the Theftlock feature to kick in. Now, I can't program in the codes to unlock the radio as I can't see anything on the display. I know I need to send the radio in to have new bulbs put in, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some backyard workaround to program it until I can get the bulbs repaired. Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to be difficult without being able to see the display. But, since you know the code, you could search the net for the procedure and try to do it blind.
litespd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured this out, and have an answer for anyone else that might ever run into the same problem. As I was leaving my house this evening, I looked down at the radio. The sun was shining in the back window, and it slightly illuminated the display...I could just make out the LOC letters for the lock. I could see enough that I could program in the code to unlock the radio, and it's now working. So, if you ever have a burned out display, and you need to program the radio...if you park your car so that the sun shines directly on the display, you can see enough of it to program it.
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to suggest a very bright flashlight (it's worked for me...) but the sun certainly does the job too!
seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on which radio you have, but some of them are quite easy to change the bulb. If you're removing the radio yourself, you shouldn't have to send it in to have the bulb replaced. For example, this replacement bulb on amazon has a few photos to illustrate replacement:

Your mileage may vary with a different radio, though.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

litespd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, seq. I was under the impression that you had to unsolder the bulbs from the circuit board, and as my soldering skills are terrible at best, I was going to send it in. I believe it's a UP3...I got it from Replacement Radios, kru is (or was) a member here, and I bought a couple of them from him.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock