Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Should I have a 17" spare tire in the front compartment....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Should I have a 17" spare tire in the front compartment.... by Gokart
Started on: 08-16-2014 04:57 PM
Replies: 11 (361 views)
Last post by: tshark on 08-23-2014 05:26 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...if I'm running full time with 17" rims now? Especially considering I have a sage chin spoiler molded to the front facia?
Probably be an issue getting it to fit in the spare tire location though?
Marc
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't carry a spare at all. I use CAA 200 mi. (AAA)

Arn
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I don't carry a spare at all. I use CAA 200 mi. (AAA)

Arn

Good point! I have triple A too so maybe it'll be used for some other stuff

1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just make sure your spare rim clears your brakes and the outside diameter matches the other four wheels

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:

Just make sure your spare rim clears your brakes and the outside diameter matches the other four wheels

I'm thinking I could just keep the 15". It might just get me to a service station. I imagine I wouldn't have an issue if I blew a rear tire. I doubt I'd "bottom out". Even though I run different sizes in the rear, if I blew a front I could move one of the 17" rear tires there and put the doughnut on the rear?!
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rim diameter doesn't make much of a difference unless you have a big brake kit that you need to clear. other than that I'd only be concerned about the overall height of the entire assembly

I'd match your spare size to your drive wheels. the only thing that could be hurt by running different size tires would be the Differential

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 08-17-2014).]

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:

Rim diameter doesn't make much of a difference unless you have a big brake kit that you need to clear. other than that I'd only be concerned about the overall height of the entire assembly

I'm thinking I'll throw it on and see what happens....just in case so I'm prepared in a pinch!
Thanks for the replies

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using 18" with 225x40 tyres on - they are 5mm bigger in diameter than the 15" stock wheel and tyre so wont make much difference if you had to use the space saver wheel.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to know thank you! The only issue I can see having is up front where I have the chin spoiler and I'm about 4 inches from the asphalt
If I blow out a front I'll just move a back one there and then use the spare in the back
thanks for all the replies!

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 08-18-2014).]

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gokart

4635 posts
Member since May 99
Sorry... Double post!

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 08-18-2014).]

2268irma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2268irmaSend a Private Message to 2268irmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got around the spare problem with my 17s by going to Mich run flats no spare needed.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock