Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Any help wiring this style LED tail lights would be great.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any help wiring this style LED tail lights would be great. by CKDrums
Started on: 08-16-2014 01:12 PM
Replies: 18 (457 views)
Last post by: CKDrums on 08-18-2014 07:32 PM
CKDrums

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 GT and I built some tail lights this weekend with these. https://www.etrailer.com/tv...ights-STL101RCB.aspx They have an outter band of LEDs in red and a clear set of LEDs in the middle that shine red. According to there websites video the outter band of LED's are for tail lights aka night driving lights and they are controlled by the Black wire (not a ground), the middle LED's are the brake/turn signal lights and are controlled by the Red wire. The ground being the White wire. Since my 87 Fiero uses seperate bulbs for the turn signals and the brakes.......and the tail lights aka night time driving lights are shared with the brake lights, how can I wire these up to function properly. I have searched for hours looking and have come close to finding what I need but haven't gotten it yet. I read up about the notche fiero using a different brake light set up, and something about changing a wire on the turn signal and brake switch but with out pictures and slightly clearer disscription I'm confused. I'd like to think I'm average maybe slightly above average mechanically but I didn't want to go hacking up stuff when I wasent 100 percent sure of the processes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, I looked at the diagram on http://www.kahines.com/page...earpanel-install.htm as a reference but this set up would not match up with the way these LED's work.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in case anyone's interested. Very similar to others.

[This message has been edited by CKDrums (edited 08-16-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember mention of the notchie and GT tail lights being wired up to the C500 connector differently. But I don't remember the specifics. If you search thru the notchback-to-fastback conversion threads, you may find the info you're looking for.

If that doesn't pan out, you could put diodes on the brake light wires. That will prevent power from back-feeding from one turn signal to the other.

That said, since you have 2 lights on either side, you could keep the separate brake and turn lights. Make the outboard ones the turn signals, and the inboard ones the brake lights. That's assuming you don't mind doing it that way.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-16-2014).]

CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking along those lines as well but I was really hoping to have both inner lights serve as brake lights with the far inner light being my turn signal as well. Thank you for your info.

So from what I have found after a few more hours of searching I need to "jump 2 pin, C7 H8 both white wires, on C500 to make brake lights flash when turn signal are on"
I have no idea where C7 is and jump, as in run a wire from the C7 location to the H8 location? Or remove one and connect it over to the other?

Can anyone please explain how to do this ?

[This message has been edited by CKDrums (edited 08-16-2014).]

CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CKDrums

58 posts
Member since Sep 2013
C7? on the c500 plug. Anyone know about this?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unscrew Body side of C500 and short the two wires.

C500 pins are labeled on side... one side is 1234etc, both ends label w/ letters.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C7 does not exist on my C500. Can you please help me locate the pin your talking about? I have an unmolested 87 GT.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1 bolt to remove? looking at wrong part. Those are 2 part of C500, engine and light/cruise sections.

need two screws to remove big body side of C500.
Both are white wire, same size.
All 86+ uses this to "program" the car for correct turn signal operation.

If needed, See my Cave, Terminal Access to release C500 terminals.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could use a trailer light wiring converter to merge the turn and brake lights...
CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gotta try the splice. If that fails me how can I do the trailer harness the way I need these lights to work?
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the page you ordered them from is e-trailer, you could start there looking for a "trailer light wiring converter" that's designed to do exactly what you want to do.

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you could forget some of their recommended wiring and use something like this, plug it into the factory tail socket, press the brake and see which wire gets 12v while the brake is pressed. Hook the wire up that gets brake power to your LED brake light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1...p=mtr#ht_1536wt_1066

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will put up a wiring diagram of what is needed for those tail lights... Some diodes will be needed since you have 2 power sources for the same bulbs and you will also need the plugs that 2.5 posted above. The issue will be to get the light to flash (signal) when you have the brakes on....There are trailer signal modules that can be adapted.. I am presently on the road and I will make ya a quick sketch tonight when I get to the hotel.
regards
Danyel
------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 08-18-2014).]

CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What if I made the center LED's on my new lights serve as stop and turn signals by doing the wire splice talked about above, then got the out LED ring to serve as tail lights aka night time driving lights by jumping off my Fieros rear side lights. They serve the same purpose. Or is there something i might be over looking here that I dont know about?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CKDrums:

... tail lights aka night time driving lights by jumping off my Fieros rear side lights.

I believe those blink with the blinker.
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I believe those blink with the blinker.

Rear side markers don't blink. If yours are please head to the doctor, it may be a stroke.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CKDrums:

What if I made the center LED's on my new lights serve as stop and turn signals by doing the wire splice talked about above, then got the out LED ring to serve as tail lights aka night time driving lights by jumping off my Fieros rear side lights. They serve the same purpose. Or is there something i might be over looking here that I dont know about?

It would be alot easier if you used one for brake the other for turn signal .... will look into another possibility on m arrival at the hotel...
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

Rear side markers don't blink. If yours are please head to the doctor, it may be a stroke.

Ha! Na.. probly just memory problems.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-18-2014).]

CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the time being I jumped off the rear side markers for the parking lights and just made the inner circle's the brakes and the outside inner circles my turn signals. Just for now and everything is working well. I just wanna make both inner circles brake lights. Here's a quick glance at the outside rings on. I still gotta paint and finish the lenses.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock