Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Decisions... 3.4TDC (Dohc) or 3500 LX9?? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Decisions... 3.4TDC (Dohc) or 3500 LX9?? by hookdonspeed
Started on: 08-15-2014 09:27 PM
Replies: 70 (2264 views)
Last post by: Inferno on 02-26-2018 02:44 AM
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so, i wana swap out the engine on my 88 finally... i cant decide on putting 3500 LX9 into it, or a 3.4DOHC(obd1 model)... both engines have "mounts" already setup for the fiero, lets hear opinion..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

so, i wana swap out the engine on my 88 finally... i cant decide on putting 3500 LX9 into it, or a 3.4DOHC(obd1 model)... both engines have "mounts" already setup for the fiero, lets hear opinion..

L 9 . 4 ===> 4 . 9 L

Sounds like you need a 4.9L Caddy
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3500 is a better engine, all around. Seriously, I see no reason to use the 3.4 TDC (aside from fanboyism) when the better, newer engines are so plentiful.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The 3500 is a better engine, all around. Seriously, I see no reason to use the 3.4 TDC (aside from fanboyism) when the better, newer engines are so plentiful.

hrm......

what are known issues of the 3.4TDC?
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't think he means the LQ1 actually has issues but the LX9 is a newer engine and is simply more refined.

A member of my local club swapped one in his 87GT and this engine, although not as powerful as other common swaps, is very smooth to drive and has good all around power.

I don't know what your incentive to swap is but if you're looking for a good all around engine, the LX9 definitely has to be on top of your list.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by benoitmalenfant:

Don't think he means the LQ1 actually has issues but the LX9 is a newer engine and is simply more refined.

A member of my local club swapped one in his 87GT and this engine, although not as powerful as other common swaps, is very smooth to drive and has good all around power.

I don't know what your incentive to swap is but if you're looking for a good all around engine, the LX9 definitely has to be on top of your list.

more power, future boost... i think ima go with the LQ1 for the 88 and leave the LX9 in my 86 rather then scrap the 86, just continue to slowly work on it / rebuild it...

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by benoitmalenfant: Don't think he means the LQ1 actually has issues but the LX9 is a newer engine and is simply more refined.

Yep.

The 3500 has cross-bolted main bearing caps, reinforced lifter valley, etc, whereas the LQ1 has basically the same bottom end as the 3.4 V6. So the 3500 bottom end is stronger.

Also, those 4 extra camshafts on the LQ1 (it has a dummy cam in the block, to turn the over head cams, so technically it has 5 camshafts) add a lot of extra weight. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's something like 80-100 pounds more than the 3500. So even though the performance numbers are similar, the 3500 gets you a better power-to-weight ratio. And your Fiero won't be as tail-heavy.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Yep.

The 3500 has cross-bolted main bearing caps, reinforced lifter valley, etc, whereas the LQ1 has basically the same bottom end as the 3.4 V6. So the 3500 bottom end is stronger.

Also, those 4 extra camshafts on the LQ1 (it has a dummy cam in the block, to turn the over head cams, so technically it has 5 camshafts) add a lot of extra weight. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's something like 80-100 pounds more than the 3500. So even though the performance numbers are similar, the 3500 gets you a better power-to-weight ratio. And your Fiero won't be as tail-heavy.

eh? ive seen many people boost the LQ1 to ~400hp on stock internals... the LX9 needs valve work first.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eh? ive seen many people boost the LQ1 to ~400hp on stock internals... the LX9 needs valve work first.

I doubt valve work would be necessary for the LX9 to do 400, but definitely more boost. Superdave managed a little over 300 with head work and a camshaft naturally aspirated. If I were going to do an overhead cam motor, at a minimum I would start with the new gen 3.6L. The 2014 twin turbo Cadillac CTS 3.6L (LF3) makes 420 hp and 430 lb/ft of torque, that's insane from just 3.6 litres and I'm sure there will be some aftermarket voodoo available for purchase to push it to 500 hp.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:
I doubt valve work would be necessary for the LX9 to do 400, but definitely more boost. Superdave managed a little over 300 with head work and a camshaft naturally aspirated. If I were going to do an overhead cam motor, at a minimum I would start with the new gen 3.6L. The 2014 twin turbo Cadillac CTS 3.6L (LF3) makes 420 hp and 430 lb/ft of torque, that's insane from just 3.6 litres and I'm sure there will be some aftermarket voodoo available for purchase to push it to 500 hp.

I'd bet just a tune will bump it to 500, much like people are getting 300 out of the LNF on just a tune. It is a surprisingly small package for the engine, even with the turbos though, thanks to the exhaust manifold being integrated into the head, but I don't know if it would really fit up in a Fiero well.

As for the original question, the LX9 is a far better engine. If you're boosting it, getting 400 out of the stock engine can probably be done with only bolting on the turbo with enough boost, and a re-tune of the ECM.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I'd bet just a tune will bump it to 500, much like people are getting 300 out of the LNF on just a tune. It is a surprisingly small package for the engine, even with the turbos though, thanks to the exhaust manifold being integrated into the head, but I don't know if it would really fit up in a Fiero well.

As for the original question, the LX9 is a far better engine. If you're boosting it, getting 400 out of the stock engine can probably be done with only bolting on the turbo with enough boost, and a re-tune of the ECM.

hrm... while im not gona say the bottomend cant take it, i know valve springs would be a minimum requirement.

ive got the LX9 in my 86, but that car needs *alot* of work and i just dont have the time to put into it.. :/ will get to it eventually, guess i should go start it today atleast lol...
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The LX9 makes the same stock power as the LQ1, but has better upgradability... You can buy parts for the LX9, but have to make almost everything for the LQ1.
Also, the weight difference has been addressed. You'll lose ~25 lbs with the LX9, but gain ~70 lbs with the LQ1.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finish the 3500 swap!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hrm... while im not gona say the bottomend cant take it, i know valve springs would be a minimum requirement.

ive got the LX9 in my 86, but that car needs *alot* of work and i just dont have the time to put into it.. :/ will get to it eventually, guess i should go start it today atleast lol...

I don't see why springs would be an issue. You won't be increasing the lift or the RPM range of the engine, just by bolting a turbo on. If you want to also increase lift or the RPM range, then yes, you'll probably need springs, and probably lifters.

If the LX9 is already in, then an LQ1 would be far more work to switch to at this point, don't you think?

Swapping springs is easy. Get it running and drivable, and enjoy it for a while, before you try to throw a turbo on it to get 400+ HP.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I definitely agree that the LX9 is a superior setup on paper. The powerband is obviously different between the two.

The LX9 has a lot of low-end torque, LQ1 has more top end. I'm sure you can get a cam that would open up the LX9 top end, though.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ima just do both, i *was* going to sell my 86 if i pulled the engine or sell it with the LX9 in it... now i think ima just keep it and keep building on it, and put the LQ1 in my 88...

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

I definitely agree that the LX9 is a superior setup on paper. The powerband is obviously different between the two.

The LX9 has a lot of low-end torque, LQ1 has more top end. I'm sure you can get a cam that would open up the LX9 top end, though.

With the right cam, and well tuned VVT, it's possible to get a very nice broad and flat torque curve.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With the right cam, and well tuned VVT, it's possible to get a very nice broad and flat torque curve.

LX9 isn't VVT.
ricksmastermix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did an LQ1 and I like it, but I have a Cadillac CTS with the all aluminum LY7 DOHC V6 and It's quite a performer with forged crank and rods. Like the LQ1, it begs to be turbocharged. 10 PSI would be plenty of boost and both of these engines can handle it in stock form - probably much more. 10 psi on the LQ1 will provide over 400 hp and close to 450 hp on the LY7. Cadillac has a direct injection version of the LY7 that would provide even more HP.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
LX9 isn't VVT.

Right, but it can be retrofitted from one of the other High Value engines that does have it. At least, from the pictures I've seen on-line, it appears to work in the same way as the VVT on the L92 and other V8s, with the special cam, cam gear, and timing cover.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right, but it can be retrofitted from one of the other High Value engines that does have it. At least, from the pictures I've seen on-line, it appears to work in the same way as the VVT on the L92 and other V8s, with the special cam, cam gear, and timing cover.

I don't think so in the case of the LX9, IIRC, the LZ engines use different size came bearings (diameter)
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why would you waste the time and money?

Why not just get a 3500 that is already VVT equipped if you want it?

And why isn't the 3900 VVT being considered in all this talk of more "modern" GM 60 deg V6 pushrod engines?

3900 VVT LZ9 = 242hp / 242tq.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Why would you waste the time and money?

Why not just get a 3500 that is already VVT equipped if you want it?

And why isn't the 3900 VVT being considered in all this talk of more "modern" GM 60 deg V6 pushrod engines?

-ryan

Agreed. I've been looking into a "Cam-in-Cam" conversion for the VVT 60V6, I think that would be a hot ticket. insane amount of work though...
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Agreed. I've been looking into a "Cam-in-Cam" conversion for the VVT 60V6, I think that would be a hot ticket. insane amount of work though...

From my experience, keep it simple and use the stock cam along with compression ratio increase on the 3900. A simple on/off mechanism to retard the cam to its appropriate optimum install angle for high rpm use will do the job.

When I installed my built version with 11.5:1 compression and a mildly upgraded reground camshaft fully advanced with the ability to retard the cam to its recommended install angle, I bested 33 mpg HWY and that was after damaging it by burning a valve. Keep in mind the motor is stroked to 4.2L another advantage of the large journal 60 degree.

I rebuilt it using a little hotter cam installed at its proper angle without the ability to advance it and with .5 less compression to 11:1 and that took me down to just over 27 mpg HWY.

If I were to do it over again, since it's turbocharged, I would use the stock cam, increase compression back to 11.5:1 and restore the ability to do a simple retard of the cam from the advanced position and take
advantage of the exceptional fuel economy ability without sacrificing the performance potential.

There was also a tremendous difference in bottom end torque between the cams as well as top end although I can't do direct comparison since the first was always left in the advanced position. I would have put it up against anything off the line with the first iteration, it felt like peak torque was available at throttle tip in on launch and I'm certain the high torque level present on first install is what took out the first F40.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 08-27-2014).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From my experience, keep it simple and use the stock cam along with compression ratio increase on the 3900. A simple on/off mechanism to retard the cam to its appropriate optimum install angle for high rpm use will do the job.

When I installed my built version with 11.5:1 compression and a mildly upgraded reground camshaft fully advanced with the ability to retard the cam to its recommended install angle, I bested 33 mpg HWY and that was after damaging it by burning a valve. Keep in mind the motor is stroked to 4.2L another advantage of the large journal 60 degree.

I rebuilt it using a little hotter cam installed at its proper angle without the ability to advance it and with .5 less compression to 11:1 and that took me down to just over 27 mpg HWY.

If I were to do it over again, since it's turbocharged, I would use the stock cam, increase compression back to 11.5:1 and restore the ability to do a simple retard of the cam from the advanced position and take advantage of the exceptional fuel economy ability without sacrificing the performance potential.

Are you familiar with Cam-in-Cam?

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you familiar with Cam-in-Cam?

I believe it is what I saw a version of on Comp Cam's site some time ago where dual tubes keep separate the intake and exh lobes on what essentially is a single camshaft. I've taken the long way around so many times that I'm more inclined to find a way to use what's already in place when the demands of modification may require the same or more work.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

-ryan

The main reason I stick with the LA1/LX9, is because the engines are a simpler install compared to the VVT engine. My next swap will either be a direct injection High feature, or a LZ9 with some custom work done.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010

I believe it is what I saw a version of on Comp Cam's site some time ago where dual tubes keep separate the intake and exh lobes on what essentially is a single camshaft. I've taken the long way around so many times that I'm more inclined to find a way to use what's already in place when the demands of modification may require the same or more work.

I like to explore the unknown more and more lately, I am unaware of any kind of aftermarket setup though.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like to explore the unknown more and more lately, I am unaware of any kind of aftermarket setup though.

That used to be me, but I'm getting old now, cranky and don't like noise as much as I use to. If I find the time to build another motor it will definitely be the 3.6L.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or keep it simple and SMART and have Sinister set up a swap PCM that retains the stock VVT...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

The main reason I stick with the LA1/LX9, is because the engines are a simpler install compared to the VVT engine. My next swap will either be a direct injection High feature, or a LZ9 with some custom work done.

What beyond an extra 5-10 wires makes the VVT install difficult?
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
What beyond an extra 5-10 wires makes the VVT install difficult?

well, I don't care for DBW throttles, and IIRC, the engine mounts are different. the LX9 and earlier use the same mounts as the old gen1 blocks. VVT engines are also more expensive to tune. (Not supported by DHP/tiny tuner) 5-10 wires is not a big deal to me, but to most on this forum, that's a big deal. not sure why though.

do I guess difficult was a poor choice of words, more involved would be better. the biggest part is preference. I'm also not sold on the VVT setup the LZ9 uses. I think the heads do more for the torque curve than the VVT. unfortunately, there isn't a good basline to tell how much it plays in, as there was never a stock 3900 without it.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 08-28-2014).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or keep it simple and SMART and have Sinister set up a swap PCM that retains the stock VVT...

I believe this is a DIY effort that includes the wiring and alternative engine management choice, otherwise OE engine management is a no brainer. I also believe there's a heck of a lot more than 5-10 extra wires involved unless we're talking a PCM transplant that can manage the VVT and not require the electronic throttle hardware and various other communication and handshake protocols with the BCM and TCM, etc...

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 08-28-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe this is a DIY effort that includes the wiring and alternative engine management choice, otherwise OE engine management is a no brainer. I also believe there's a heck of a lot more than 5-10 extra wires involved unless we're talking a PCM transplant that can manage the VVT and not require the electronic throttle hardware and various other communication and handshake protocols with the BCM and TCM, etc...

YOUR project is a DIY PCM... I was not under the impression that OP was leaning that way.

Either swap requires rewiring. If you buy a complete engine, it comes with DBW throttle and VVT... maybe even a harness to start from. You're talking like all of this is extra stuff you have to buy... it's NOT. The only (electronic) difference worth noting is the PCM, and if a shelf tune can turn it into a stand-alone, that sounds like a winner.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

well, I don't care for DBW throttles, and IIRC, the engine mounts are different. the LX9 and earlier use the same mounts as the old gen1 blocks. VVT engines are also more expensive to tune. (Not supported by DHP/tiny tuner) 5-10 wires is not a big deal to me, but to most on this forum, that's a big deal. not sure why though.

do I guess difficult was a poor choice of words, more involved would be better. the biggest part is preference. I'm also not sold on the VVT setup the LZ9 uses. I think the heads do more for the torque curve than the VVT. unfortunately, there isn't a good basline to tell how much it plays in, as there was never a stock 3900 without it.

I'd like to play with a VVT engine. They're pretty cheap. The Formula is just begging for more power, and a $600 engine that almost bolts in and gives 100 more HP is very tempting.

Are there pics around of the new style engine mounts?

Doesn't the 3900 also do cylinder deactivation?
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd like to play with a VVT engine. They're pretty cheap. The Formula is just begging for more power, and a $600 engine that almost bolts in and gives 100 more HP is very tempting.

Are there pics around of the new style engine mounts?

Doesn't the 3900 also do cylinder deactivation?

some VVT engines do cylinder deactivation, some dont. I'm not 100% sure the mounts are different, I know the block side bosses are different, but that's not a big deal for a fiero swap, and I don't have a picture.

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

YOUR project is a DIY PCM... I was not under the impression that OP was leaning that way.

Either swap requires rewiring. If you buy a complete engine, it comes with DBW throttle and VVT... maybe even a harness to start from. You're talking like all of this is extra stuff you have to buy... it's NOT. The only (electronic) difference worth noting is the PCM, and if a shelf tune can turn it into a stand-alone, that sounds like a winner.

Relax Will, from what I recall in an older thread on the subject by the OP, his 3500 swap consideration like probably 9 out of 10 here and elsewhere, usually forgo the OE PCM and electric throttle body since there are parts available for purchase to bypass the extra supporting hardware. I considered the OE engine management and at the time there was limited ability to reprogram, not to mention the cost of the modern programming equipment compared to what's already available and as mentioned gently earlier and more emphatically now, there's a heck of a lot more involved than 5-10 additional wires to keep the system happy, probably more like wiring two cars. Obviously we were looking at it from different platforms OBD1 vs. OBD II and even with II it's a lot of work from my research on it unless they have worked out in programming how to eliminate all the extra to keep the system happy. I've purchased several DBW engines and not one came with a harness, much less a PCM. It's all good man.

The 3900 in the Montecarlo and I believe Impala had the cylinder select option but it was phased out.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 08-29-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, regarding DBW...

*Well Calibrated* DBW is indistinguishable from cable throttle... and also makes cruise control MUCH easier to implement (at least at the OE level) and perform MUCH better. My '92 (!) BMW 535i had EML, which was BMW's term for DBW and it made cruise control perfect.
DBW also makes traction control work much better.

So if the engine & PCM have DBW from the factory, and it can be setup stand-alone pretty easily, I'd go for it.
However, that's assuming that the DBW is well calibrated... Manufacturers for some reason screw the pooch on this regularly.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, regarding DBW...

*Well Calibrated* DBW is indistinguishable from cable throttle... and also makes cruise control MUCH easier to implement (at least at the OE level) and perform MUCH better. My '92 (!) BMW 535i had EML, which was BMW's term for DBW and it made cruise control perfect.
DBW also makes traction control work much better.

So if the engine & PCM have DBW from the factory, and it can be setup stand-alone pretty easily, I'd go for it.
However, that's assuming that the DBW is well calibrated... Manufacturers for some reason screw the pooch on this regularly.

That's because their market usually isn't performance based. I can't speak for anyone else, but traction control isn't really something that interests me, every vehicle I've driven with it doesn't really have control of traction, IMO, it just acts like a big on-off switch when the wheels start spinning, making the car much harder to control IMO.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Relax Will, from what I recall in an older thread on the subject by the OP, his 3500 swap consideration like probably 9 out of 10 here and elsewhere, usually forgo the OE PCM and electric throttle body since there are parts available for purchase to bypass the extra supporting hardware. I considered the OE engine management and at the time there was limited ability to reprogram, not to mention the cost of the modern programming equipment compared to what's already available and as mentioned gently earlier and more emphatically now, there's a heck of a lot more involved than 5-10 additional wires to keep the system happy, probably more like wiring two cars. Obviously we were looking at it from different platforms OBD1 vs. OBD II and even with II it's a lot of work from my research on it unless they have worked out in programming how to eliminate all the extra to keep the system happy. I've purchased several DBW engines and not one came with a harness, much less a PCM. It's all good man.

The 3900 in the Montecarlo and I believe Impala had the cylinder select option but it was phased out.

Whether you get the harness or not depends on what you can negotiate with the yard from which you buy the engine. They want to sell you parts, so asking for a harness at least gets you a price for the harness.
Anyway, with the harness and with a shelf stand-alone tune, which I understood to be available by this time, it doesn't sound much more complicated for the extra capability. Even if VVT doesn't float your boat, the extra displacement, the extra flow from the better heads and bigger bores and the extra resulting power/torque for the same size/weight package still sounds like a winner to me.

I am interested in establishing a configuration table showing which applications had which options. I thought that the Uplander/SUV version of the engine had a traditional cross-over style exhaust that would work well in a Fiero, while the cars had "cast header" type manifolds with close-coupled cats and a cross-under vice cross-over pipe. Among the exhaust, oil pan and DOD options, it sounds like there's a mix/match combo that would work very well in a Fiero.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock