3800 With North* throttle body "Q" by Ponti88GT
Started on: 08-15-2014 09:02 PM
Replies: 10 (700 views)
Last post by: Will on 08-18-2014 07:50 AM
Ponti88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there, So like the post says, I am hooking up my North* TB to the stock V6 throttle body Cable. I was able to do this hook up using the stock cable before to my L67 stock throttle body, but now I have the North* along with the build from my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.

So, What are my options for the easiest way to make this work without having to spend too much time with it. I want bombproof worry free bracket that will last and not break. Let me know what you have found to work.
Thanks

Closer up pic of what it is now.

And this is the end of the cable.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there. Thanks for the reply, but I read through it and didn't see much guidance for making a bracket that would work. I mean I see what you have there by the pic but yeah. Anyone also have a bracket that was made and used the cruise control also like what I have pictured. Thanks
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use a small file on the bracket you currently have to make the cable work as shown in the pic above.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-16-2014).]

Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is also an idea, but what I run into there is not having enough room for travel from the throttle plate and guide. I basically need to extend the distance from the connector for the throttle body backwards away from the TB plate about a quarter inch while keeping the cruise control connector in the same place. wish I could weld fabricate, I think that it would be easier that way. Bumping back the connector making the distance greater for the throttle and maintaining the cruise location. Also I see that the cable doesnt line up perfectly straight so I am going to have to find a shop that can cut it and weld it for the correct distance because I think the ZZP bracket will have the same issue with being to close of a distance to allow the travel for some reason.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000265.html

Not my pic, not my car, and the OP of the thread didn't do the work.

It looks like the base bracket was cut from an original throttle bracket and then a brace was added.

-------------

http://cliff.hostkansas.com...s/2012/CableStop.jpg

With a little set up like this you can braze and that would be strong enough for a little bracket like this. I have a welder but there are many times I need to get an exhaust nut red hot ect. This isn't efficient on O2 bottles but for light/medium use is quite handy.

http://www.zoro.com/g/00052...rrQsl0 N-caArBy8P8HAQ

My local Fleet Farm has them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHyBc8puRg

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-16-2014).]

Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Phonedawgz, that is just what I was looking for, it is at least easy and clean enough looking for now to get the car rolling again. I am just going to work on fabricating it now. thanks!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponti88GT:

Hey Phonedawgz, that is just what I was looking for, it is at least easy and clean enough looking for now to get the car rolling again. I am just going to work on fabricating it now. thanks!

Good ideas here and my approach is very similar. One point that you did not address is the use of an external inline MAF. I use the early LS1 MAF and you will need one as well or you can use the external inline 2007 3800SC MAF that came stock on the Grand Prix engine. The LS1 will require the import of a new MAF table into the program but I am not sure about the table used for the 07 Grand Prix MAF. The 07 MAF may not require any PCM changes but I am not certain of this.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess the later Northstar throttle no longer uses the bolt-on integrated MAF like the '96-'99 throttle uses?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I guess the later Northstar throttle no longer uses the bolt-on integrated MAF like the '96-'99 throttle uses?

AFAIK, the 2000-05 N* throttle bodies are the ones that the supercharger adaptor plates are made for. I use a ZZ Performance adaptor ( series V type) and it will line up with the 2000 unit on my 3800. Never saw a N* TB with an integral MAF. The earlier ones seem to have a metal cable pulley and a tighter bolt pattern.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Through '99 the Northstar used a 4 bolt pattern. The '96-'99 units had the MAF housing bolted directly to the throttle body casting.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock