electrical upgrade by concorde01
Started on: 08-14-2014 08:38 PM
Replies: 4 (145 views)
Last post by: concorde01 on 08-15-2014 12:00 AM
concorde01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for concorde01Send a Private Message to concorde01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a 84 2m4. wiring is all messed up in back. i am getting ready to drop in a 3.4 with a carb conversion. the gauges will be aftermarket autometer type. push button start. and complete dash swap. i know i cant change just the rear harness. but what if i replaced the whole thing with one from an 85. or what is the best way to do it? as i cant find a complete 84 rear harness
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It can be done, I don't recall if the forward harnesses are the same or not, but you would need to change the engine harness, rear lamp harness, and main chassis harness at a minimum. The door ajar switches and trunk switch were changed in '87(IIRC, mighg have been '86) to a switch mounted in the door/trunk latch, not the pin switch style. In '87 the gen 2 headlamp motors added, so the front lamp harness was redesigned then.

If you want to upgrade the harness to the later spec, it will be a WHOLE LOT of work. It would be less work to repair the bad harness you've already got, even if it entails replacing all the wire. If you decide to reharness the car it will be much simpler if you can grab all the wiring from a single donor, with the same options you've already got (AC, cruise, PW, PDL, manual or auto, etc.)
concorde01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for concorde01Send a Private Message to concorde01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was thinkin of using just the 85 rear harness and re pin but i dont know anything about that kinda of stuff. if i can figure out how to do it i would love to keep the fi on the 3.4
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You really need to relocate the c500 and add a BJT as in the 85 and later cars. The 84 harness plug is poorly located in the middle of the firewall.
concorde01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for concorde01Send a Private Message to concorde01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was just reading that and even more so with doing a v6

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock