Paint split off even after new paint by FieroProblems
Started on: 08-14-2014 02:15 AM
Replies: 6 (377 views)
Last post by: Tha Driver on 08-15-2014 03:33 AM
FieroProblems

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroProblemsSend a Private Message to FieroProblemsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello
I have 3 Fieros and 2 of them have same problem. The paint split off on more places. I can see bare fiberglass and if i try to remove the paint that not hold it goes more and more.

One place i have repair and it was great .. for one week . After one week i see it again.

How to do correct paint job on Fiero from bare fiberglass beginning ? What for paint to use and how to ?

I have try to find here this information , i do not find it with the same problem.

HELP please
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, and wecome to the forum! Almost everything you want to know has been covered here, its a great place!

for starters, see the link below, it might help.
[url=//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20090907-1-069277.html][/url]

Hope this is of some help. Also do a google search for " Pennocks Fiero body repair" or fiberglass, chips in body, etc.
just start your google search with "Pennocks Fiero ......."
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

565 posts
Member since Dec 2011
Sorry, link didn't post right. Hope it works this time

Some Bodywork Questions
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI, it is not fiberglass. It is SMC (Sheet Molded Compound), which will require specific products. The underlying structure of the SMC may be bad and you have to take out more of it to fix the problem, or replace the panel. I had a flaking hood once and I just replaced it, as there was no quick fix (other than removing all the bad material and making sure it is sealed properly).

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 08-14-2014).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What it is, and why you see glass strands showing, is its fiberglass 'reinforced' SMC compound. The hood, roof and trunk lid are fiberglass reinforced. Fenders and doors are not. If you break a fender, it just snaps off being plastic. The reinforced ones will break leaving raw fibers showing around the break.
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The link I posted above and the links in the article talk about SMC. In my opinion it repairs and works a lot like repairing fiberglass but using chemicals and fillers for SMC. I've done several roof sections and if preped correctly they came out great. 99% of having a good looking repair is in the prep.

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 08-15-2014).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SMC is fiberglass molded in press-fit molds with mold release integral with the mix. As such, it takes special products in order to get the best adhesion...
http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=469.0
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave