Rear sway bar by raysr11
Started on: 08-11-2014 04:32 PM
Replies: 8 (679 views)
Last post by: raysr11 on 08-12-2014 01:05 PM
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read all the rear sway bar threads pros and cons. I understand "oversteer vs "understeer". Let me use an example of a couple of 90 degree esses I like to play with locally. I have a stock '85 notch. Coming into the first "s" fast it whips right around the corner great but the rear will let go a little coming out. So, the rear bar will make the car understeer but will keep the rear from washing out. Is that correct?

What will a bigger bar on the front only do for me? I don't seem to have an oversteer or understeer problem the was it is. A bar on the rear will tend to drive the car straight when coming into the corner, correct?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear bar will make the rear come out worse. Oversteer is when the rear whips out.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-11-2014).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most mid-engine lay out's naturally ride like they are on rails. The problem with Fiero's and MR2's is the lift off over steer. That is, when you lift off the gas in a corner, the rear likes to slide out. Best way to deal with this is staying on the gas, or downshifting.

If you've seen the Motorweek review of the fiero on youtube, you've heard them talk about this.

BTW, sway bar's only came on the 88' model year with the Formula and the GT. (It might have come on the base model, but I highly doubt it.)

2.5 is correct with making the sway bar add more over steer as well.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 08-11-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An anti-roll bar takes traction away from the end of the car it is installed on.

Add a bar to the rear of a car that didn't have one and the back of the car will feel loose.
Put a bigger bar on the front of a car - the back of the car will tighten up.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The rear bar will make the rear come out worse. Oversteer is when the rear whips out.

Allow me to share my opinion. The rear anti-sway bar on my 87GT 3800Sc remarkably improved the traction and handling of my Fiero but since I used the larger diam Addco bar it did over steer until I installed the matching front Addco bar. My other Fiero has the smaller diam..Herb Adams/ Fiero Store design. That one works well stand alone.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Allow me to share my opinion. The rear anti-sway bar on my 87GT 3800Sc remarkably improved the traction and handling of my Fiero but since I used the larger diam Addco bar it did over steer until I installed the matching front Addco bar. My other Fiero has the smaller diam..Herb Adams/ Fiero Store design. That one works well stand alone.

I agree
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try increasing the pressure in the rear tires by a few a few pounds.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the front anti-sway bar from an 84 on the rear of my 85 GT. It behaves perfectly.

The "plowing" is gone. It steers neutral. Of course with a mid engine with a wide stance, the back end can come out quickly if you hit the gas in a turn, but that is just getting to know your car.

raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies and clearing that up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock