Electrical draw frustrations by Morkidan
Started on: 08-11-2014 01:55 PM
Replies: 8 (202 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 08-21-2014 05:45 PM
Morkidan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MorkidanSend a Private Message to MorkidanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel like ive been chasing a battery drain for the better part of 5 years now. So here is what got so far....

1. Headlight motors are disconnected.
2. Blue Chime box has been takin out.
3. The fuel pump turns on with the key and I dont hear it running when car is off so I dont think that is it.
4. Put my phone on record in the trunk to make sure light turns off when closed. It does.
5. All dome lights turn off when doors are closed.

I guess my question is what fuses should I start pulling first to see if the draw stops. Battery is dead if not on the trickle charger after only 3 days.

------------------
86 2.8 V6 fastback GT 65k original miles
2004 SRT-4 stage1

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sometimes narrowing it down to a fuse still leaves a person frustrated. got mine down to the fuel circuit. checked all the usual culprits on the circuit with no success so about the only thing left is to see if a pin worked loose at the C203 connector. meanwhile I take the fuse out overnight so it doesn't drain the battery.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried disconnecting the battery, and listening for clues when you reconnect it? How about your sound system? If it's aftermarket that's always a real good place to start looking. Anything else else electrical that's not factory? Alarm system? Are you sure the battery just isn't done?
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finding a draw is a simple process of elimination exercise, but there are a couple essential tools you will need. First off you will need a battery disconnect switch like this one or similar.

You will need a side post adapter to go with it.

Next you will need a digital meter set to the highest AMP scale. Install the battery disconnect switch on the ground side of the battery. Clip the black lead of the meter to the battery end of the switch and the red led to the cable end. Make sure the switch is closed at this point. Close the doors and hood, make sure the trunk light is off, make sure the ignition is off, and then open the battery switch, All current is now going through the meter, it should read less than 50mA. If it is higher than you have a draw. Close the battery switch and open the drivers door, wedge something in the jamb switch to turn out the dome light. Never open the door or turn on the lights with current running through the meter, it can't handle that much current and you could damage the meter.

So now with the door open and the dome lights off, open the battery switch again and note the reading on the meter. Begin removing fuses 1 at a time and note the reading again, if it is unchanged, replace that fuse and remove another one. Continue removing fuses 1 at a time, when you get the reading to drop, you found the circuit that is causing the draw. Use a wiring diagram to figure out which components are on that particular circuit and then disconnect them 1 at a time until you find the one that is causing the draw.
Morkidan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MorkidanSend a Private Message to MorkidanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

I pulled the fuel pump fuse and now there is no drain. Whats the next step to look for??
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Morkidan:

UPDATE:

I pulled the fuel pump fuse and now there is no drain. Whats the next step to look for??

I think the oil pressure sensors are prone to short out. Disconnect the sensor and plug the fuel pump fuse back in, then see if the drain is still there.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is a cheap harbor freight multimeter adequate for this test?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as it can measure amps, though the cheap ones often can't. Look for one with at least a 0.1A capability (100 mA).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock