V6 engine mount shock by donuteater306
Started on: 08-10-2014 11:02 PM
Replies: 6 (240 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 08-25-2014 07:22 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Discovered today that the last idiot who worked on my car (yours truly) either didn't replace the bolt in the engine mount shock, or left it loose. Either way, the bolt is gone. This may explain the clunking noise I hear every once in a while.

Three questions:
1 where can I get a replacement bolt?

2 what exactly is that for? I'm assuming vibration.

3 if it's missing, will it cause excessive wear on the other mounts? Obviously GM wouldn't have spent $2.00 per car if it wasn't necessary.

As always, thank you in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a lot of searching on this one when I was having issues with vibration. From what I gathered, most people feel the shock is not worth replacing, and IIRC, GM agreed and dropped it in either '87 or '88, can't recall which.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, I know that the 88 V6's don't have it. And I can't imagine that the engine moves enough where a shock is actually useful. But then again, it IS a Fiero and gawd only knows whats going on back there when we're driving. I'm going to replace the lower bolt, as soon as I can find one.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I completely forgot about my factory parts manual. Thankfully, GM listed the correct bolt size. A trip to Home Depot and $.92 later...all back together.

FYI M8x1.25x45.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did it fix the noise?
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup. I really don't know how that shock does anything but the clunking that I thought was my exhaust banging the frame is now gone.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

Yup. I really don't know how that shock does anything but the clunking that I thought was my exhaust banging the frame is now gone.

Good to know. Thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock