white spots by Jayfelt
Started on: 08-10-2014 10:49 PM
Replies: 4 (164 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-12-2014 09:26 AM
Jayfelt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have possible a pretty simple one for you guys.

Tried useing detailing clay and also tried 2 parts water 1 part white vinger and i didnt seem to get to far. Can't seem to find anything else on what to do other then sand down a layer of the gloss finish or just paint/wrap the car. Just wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions before i go any further.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wjen did the spots form and can you get a better picture?

Looks like bubbles in the clear but it's hard to tell, as you sand they would be filling up and made visible, only way I know of to get rid of them would be to sand them out as suggested.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 08-10-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to tell from your pic, but from experience over 50 years, Ill guess you have whats just called 'clearcoat delamination' The clear didnt bond to the basecolor when the factory painted it. Its a typical problem especially from the early attempts at basecoat/clearcoat paints. The ONLY fix is to sand all the clear off each panel affected and repaint the base and clear. Usually it only happens above the side moldings...hood, roof, trunk and tops of fenders and doors....where the sun and rain hit it. No wax, polish or cleaner will do anything except for very short term (days). You CANNOT just put a new coat of clear on it either because it will not stick to the base...exactly the problem in the first place. People will tell you it works....it dont....just ends up making even more work for a repaint and costing you even more money. You also cant just sand the white spot area and repaint...ALL the clear must be sanded off that panel. Theres no shortcut. You need to sand it off even if you do a wrap because when the paint loosens it will just make the wrap bubble and come off with it.
Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Hard to tell from your pic, but from experience over 50 years, Ill guess you have whats just called 'clearcoat delamination' The clear didnt bond to the basecolor when the factory painted it. Its a typical problem especially from the early attempts at basecoat/clearcoat paints. The ONLY fix is to sand all the clear off each panel affected and repaint the base and clear. Usually it only happens above the side moldings...hood, roof, trunk and tops of fenders and doors....where the sun and rain hit it. No wax, polish or cleaner will do anything except for very short term (days). You CANNOT just put a new coat of clear on it either because it will not stick to the base...exactly the problem in the first place. People will tell you it works....it dont....just ends up making even more work for a repaint and costing you even more money. You also cant just sand the white spot area and repaint...ALL the clear must be sanded off that panel. Theres no shortcut. You need to sand it off even if you do a wrap because when the paint loosens it will just make the wrap bubble and come off with it.

The white spots are definitely closer to the top of the car. I was thinking it mighy of been something wrong withe the clear coat. It was throwing me off because some of the white spots where coming off just with my fingernails. So i think it must be a mix of water spots, built up wax and a bad cear coat. Thanks guys, hope i can wrap the car before the Dream Cruise this weekend.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If clay bar and vinegar didnt do much, but your finger nail can remove some its confusing.
I'd try some rubbing compound /polish. But yeah it could be delaminating clear coat.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock