Started on: 08-10-2014 07:49 PM
Replies: 43 (890 views)
Last post by: Will on 08-16-2014 04:21 PM
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

My personal opinion is that I could go for a Mera because of the degree of engineering that went into that body... but I think any kit is going to be a maintainability and/or durability disaster.

Will,

For the right price you could likely get one of my Meras.

Nelson
IP: Logged
Insky

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InskySend a Private Message to InskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be nice. Even after it has been wrecked and rebuilt. Must give everyone hope that has a salvage title
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I disagree. Much depends on the level of care taken to build the kit. Not all kit cars are slapped together. I've been driving my 308 kit since '96 (albeit on a completely restored chassis and powertrain) and I haven't experienced maintainability nor durability issues with the exception of common wear and tear items like tires and ball joints. As for the fiberglass body, if care is taken to design proper supports and the body is mounted securely then things like stress cracks can be avoided altogether.

Obviously the kit body doesn't affect the normal wear items.
If the kit doesn't include the right supports to keep the fiberglass from cracking, then it's not a very well engineered kit, is it?

I was referring to rock chips, minor dings, stresses from use (ever heard the sunroof creak when driving diagonally over a gutter?), etc. that the stock body would shrug off which would end up cracking the fiberglass body.

Originally posted by I FAR I:

Some really good and pertinent points were made in all the above posts, but I'm with Bloozberry on this one because I had my Fejer kit done in 1993........Meras are essentially the same as every other 308 kit, Bloozberry's car excepted, as his is a Stinger; but putting together a Mera, or any of the other 308/328 kits which were made off of the same type mold, is really no different than the cars put together by Corporate Concepts imo.

I was under the impression that the MERA body was "engineered" for its semi-production status and was a cut above a normal kit--like the IMSA--which, judging by Russ' installation, typically needs a lot of bondo & bodywork to install and is then essentially un-removable without breaking the joints and having to re-do the bodywork and repaint the car.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Will,

For the right price you could likely get one of my Meras.

Nelson

For the right price I could get a lot of things

I appreciate the offer, but I'm neck deep, in terms of both time and financial commitments, in other projects right now.
I am very curious about giving a Mera a thorough crawling-over, just to see how the body is designed, assembled and attached.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-16-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock