Started on: 05-22-2014 01:23 PM
Replies: 6 (308 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 05-23-2014 05:45 PM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The top of my '88 coupe front fascia is sagging and concave. It doesn't have a smooth transition to the hood. The only '88 I ever saw that didn't have this problem was my old coupe that I bought with 25k miles on it.

What are some ways to restore the shape?

I thought about cutting some foam to put underneath the fascia to reform the shape, but the plastic seems pretty stiff and I don't know if I'd be able to bend it enough. Has anyone tried this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may sound strange, but, I had one and I took it off, put it upside down out in the Fla Sun, with flat weights to press it back out, THEN, put syran wrap(spelling /) (so it wouldn't stick to the cover, I put the wrap on the car also, put the cover on, then squirted "Great STUFF" up into the cover from the under side. the great stuff Expands as it dries, so it pushes up a little on the cover. when it dries you have a Pre formed Styrofoam shape under the cover so it can't go down again. Make sure to Cover anything you don't want the great stuff to get on, it won't come off !
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First thing I do is remount the egg crate up as high as I can with new fasteners like plastic or metal bolts. Not the pop in ones.
Much of the sag is caused by the crate being loose.
I have then added some foam to the top of the crate and shaped it as neded.
Then get the nose very warm in the sun as noted above and reinstall.
Has taken care of the sag most of the times.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 05-23-2014).]

BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad no one has made a fiberglass replacement nose yet!
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tips! I'll try the non-expanding foam method first and see how that goes.

Originally posted by BrittB:

Too bad no one has made a fiberglass replacement nose yet!

I'd love some lightweight front and rear fiberglass Formula fascias.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://fierofiberglass.com/...es/FrontBumpers.html Fiero Fiberglass has them. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 05-23-2014).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

http://fierofiberglass.com/...es/FrontBumpers.html Fiero Fiberglass has them. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen.

I didn't see one for a Formula.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock