Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Planning on doing a Chop-top. What tools should I invest in to do this.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Planning on doing a Chop-top. What tools should I invest in to do this. by hcforde
Started on: 05-21-2014 08:31 AM
Replies: 7 (242 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 05-21-2014 08:18 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am planning on doing a Chop-Top conversion on a fastback and a notchback. Yeah, ambitious! AND/OR crazy. To top it off, I want to do them simultaneously. I figure doing the same thing closely together will be more beneficial for my learning curve and productivity-wise rather than weeks apart. It seems like the biggest thing is the metal work. The measuring, cutting, measuring, welding, measuring, of the final metal. I have a welder, sawzall, pneumatic body saw, compressor etc the general stuff, but is there anything that is non-standard that would be beneficial to doing this. Would a body shop tool like this be of any real help http://www.harborfreight.co...pment-kit-44899.html My main concern is the metal and getting it right. I have done fiberglass before "years ago", I will also deal with the windows when I get there. I DO want the conversions to be close enough so when I deal with the windows they will work for both cars. Hence measurement seem to be the key component. I will deal with other body modifications at a later time.

Also, once you bend the windshield pillars back how do you get them to stay exactly where you want them to as you are welding them in place.

What do you use to make the measurements with so everything is in perfect symmetry. I am sure it has to be more accurate than using a yardstick.

I do have a chassis I am going to be using as practice before I start the real cars just to let you all know I am not totally nuts.

Any productive input is welcome, and thanks in advance
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A set of brass...somethings.
sawsall, grinder, and understanding wife.
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have door glass?

Steve
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

A set of brass...somethings.
sawsall, grinder, and understanding wife.

I have all those things.......BTW what is an "understanding wife"?

BTW Revin, are you going to be participating in the parade in Round Rock this year?

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - being restored
1986 GT, runs but clutch/issue - Chop-top candidate
1986 SE, runs, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Do you have door glass?

Steve

NOPE, I saw a set for sale last year. I also talked with V8archie months ago and the supplier he had could no longer provide them because they changed machines. I am contemplating making a mold and doing some if necessary.

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - being restored
1986 GT, runs but clutch/issue - Chop-top candidate
1986 SE, runs, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:
BTW Revin, are you going to be participating in the parade in Round Rock this year?

I would like to, but have not gotten a invite as of yet. I will look into it.

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A tack weld will hold the pillars in place. Get glass before you cut. You match the pillars to the glass, not the other way around.

------------------

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

A tack weld will hold the pillars in place. Get glass before you cut. You match the pillars to the glass, not the other way around.

Glass first, That is very good to know. Logical once you think about it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock