Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What tools are needed for a T-Top conversion.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What tools are needed for a T-Top conversion. by hcforde
Started on: 05-21-2014 01:04 AM
Replies: 3 (288 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 05-21-2014 08:29 AM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am planning on doing a T-Top conversion on a fastback and a notchback. Yeah, ambitious! AND/OR crazy. To top it off, I want to do them simultaneously. I figure doing the same thing closely together will be more beneficial for my learning curve and productivity-wise rather than weeks apart. It seems like the biggest thing is the metal work. The measuring, cutting, measuring, welding, measuring, of the final metal. I have a welder, sawzall, pneumatic body saw, compressor etc the general stuff, but is there anything that is non-standard that would be beneficial to doing this. Would a body shop tool like this be of any real help http://www.harborfreight.co...pment-kit-44899.html My main concern is the metal and getting it right. I have done fiberglass before "years ago", I will also deal with the windows when I get there. I DO want the conversions to be close enough so when I deal with the windows they will work for both cars. Hence measurement seem to be the key component. I will deal with other body modifications at a later time.

Also, once you bend the windshield pillars back how do you get them to stay exactly where you want them to as you are welding them in place.

What do you use to make the measurements with so everything is in perfect symmetry. I am sure it has to be more accurate than using a yardstick.

I do have a chassis I am going to be using as practice before I start the real cars just to let you all know I am not totally nuts.

Any productive input is welcome, and thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There have been a lot of good walk-through/how-to's posted here, & this is one my favorites.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you need to do a bit more research. You don't need a welder, or that junk tool from Harbor Freight. You don't need any fiberglassing skills either.

If you do decide to attempt two conversions, do one to completion, then do the other.

Originally posted by hcforde:

I am planning on doing a T-Top conversion on a fastback and a notchback. Yeah, ambitious! AND/OR crazy. To top it off, I want to do them simultaneously. I figure doing the same thing closely together will be more beneficial for my learning curve and productivity-wise rather than weeks apart. It seems like the biggest thing is the metal work. The measuring, cutting, measuring, welding, measuring, of the final metal. I have a welder, sawzall, pneumatic body saw, compressor etc the general stuff, but is there anything that is non-standard that would be beneficial to doing this. Would a body shop tool like this be of any real help http://www.harborfreight.co...pment-kit-44899.html My main concern is the metal and getting it right. I have done fiberglass before "years ago", I will also deal with the windows when I get there. I DO want the conversions to be close enough so when I deal with the windows they will work for both cars. Hence measurement seem to be the key component. I will deal with other body modifications at a later time.

Also, once you bend the windshield pillars back how do you get them to stay exactly where you want them to as you are welding them in place.

What do you use to make the measurements with so everything is in perfect symmetry. I am sure it has to be more accurate than using a yardstick.

I do have a chassis I am going to be using as practice before I start the real cars just to let you all know I am not totally nuts.

Any productive input is welcome, and thanks in advance.

hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys,

I was really tired when I posted this and I meant to say chop top, NOT "T-Top"

I consider this thread dead

I apologize for wasting your time and effort. The T-Top conversion was a good read though

Thanks again, and I apologize.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock