another timing post by Sabenn_88_notch
Started on: 05-19-2014 08:39 PM
Replies: 15 (221 views)
Last post by: Sabenn_88_notch on 05-20-2014 07:53 PM
Sabenn_88_notch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
since I started this project it seems I have mastered the timing art.

but there is one big obstacle standing in my way,
When I throw the car in diag, mode and clip my fancy dancy timing light to #1 start it up and look on my Harmonic Balancer I can see the mark, it is clear as day. but if I move it to 10 BTDC the car runs for crap. in fact you probably could consider it not running.

From when i first start the car, and it runs alright at idle and look at the HB the 10 BTDC line and my mark on the thick part of the HB are probably 5 inches apart, being that the line on the HB is lower than the 10 BTDC mark.

has anyone had this or know what to do? im currently trying by ear but im not good enough to do that.

I appreciate anything.

if anything was unclear just let me know and i can explain in further depth or even make a video. thanks

Oh and its a 3.4 engine
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about after you set it, then pull the diag. Computer should compensate.
Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems like Diagnostic mode doesn't do a lot because the mark is in the same place whether in or out of diag mode I think the person who had the car before me deleted it
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to be sure.... I hope you're not using the little tube on the timing marker tab as your reference point for 10 BTDC. If you are, then that's your problem... the timing tab has marked numbers for 4, 8, and 12 BTDC and lines for the other numbers.

If you've done that correctly, then it's possible that your HB has slipped the outer ring. There are a few documented cases of that here on PFF where the members couldn't get their timing right only to discover that the rubber had failed and allowed the outer ring to rotate relative to the hub, throwing off the timing mark. Check out this thread to determine if that's the case... see Phonedawgz's post about 2/3rds the way down.
Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which post of phonedogz?

I am using the 10 degree mark thank you for the input
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ooops! Forgot to paste the link.: www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131761.html
Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what's really strange?

I just checked this, when I took out spark plug number one and I had a buddy put in a piece of welding wire and the tdc mark on the HB and TDC in the cylinder matched up.
It seems just when the car is on the marks don't match up.
I don't think is a slipped HB
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.4 balancer has the timing mark in a different place than the 2.8. The 3.4 block has the timing pointer in a different place to line up with the other location of the mark on the balancer.
Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My harmonic and timing marks look identical to that of a 2.8 do you think maybe I have a HB from a 2.8 on my 3.4 that's why it won't line up?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My mistake... I thought we were talking about a 2.8L. Should have looked more closely at the original post.
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first was attempting to time my 3.4 my engine ran great at 20+ degrees in Diag Mode. Would not run at all timed at 10* BTDC.. was going crazy until I got the ICM checked out at an Auto Parts Store.........It failed all but 1 test.. Replaced the module and pick up in distributor. Runs GREAT now and times at 10* BTDC........

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

PFF
System Bot
Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay, can i just take it to like advance auto? or do only specific stores do ecm tests?

oh boy, how much is a 3.4 module? cant be dropping big bills!!!

[This message has been edited by Sabenn_88_notch (edited 05-20-2014).]

Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sabenn_88_notch

38 posts
Member since Dec 2013
wo, my bad. the ICM not the ecm

the problem is, I have checked the timing on the first one. it was the one throwing it way out of wack. I was able to get my fiero running after I put on the 2nd one, but I have not put a timing light to the car since then. i will see where the mark is with the 2nd (not new but functioning) ICM
Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sabenn_88_notch

38 posts
Member since Dec 2013
OK!
Progress, I dont know what i did different but I put the car in diag mode and I was able to finally get it to idle and when I checked the HB the mark was on spot. sitting right on 10 BTDC I am very happy.

now that made problem number 2 arise, the car will not rev over 3000 RPM under load, it is not the throttle cable because when the car is off i can push the pedal to the floor and see that the throttle is opening all the way. (Deck lid is off)

should I make a new thread or can someone help me with my problems?

I just bought new plugs and put them in because my old ones were fouled bad, but maybe the timing process fouled them? ill have to check. in the mean time does anyone know why this may be?
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back to getting the ICM's Tested...(test them both then you will know for sure) ... Coil.... wires, plugs.... Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, O'Reillys. Can you maually rev the engine past 3000.... Is the Butterfly opening all the without binding......... fuel pressure, filter.......???????

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the large amount of posts...

It fixed itself, the once I got the car timed, I took it for a drive and it wouldn't rev. Then I let it set for a couple.of minutes then took it again and it worked great! I let it sit to cool down, started on the 2nd crank and runs very well for now thank you for your help guys!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock