speedo error by 2268irma
Started on: 05-19-2014 02:56 PM
Replies: 10 (239 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 05-23-2014 03:08 PM
2268irma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2268irmaSend a Private Message to 2268irmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know how to correct speedo error my 88 Formula with a 4.9 Cad engine and auto trans with 225/45r17 Mich run flats is running 7 miles /hour fast at 75 miles / hour I can't find anyone to correct it i9n the Tucson Phoenix area . Help
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2268irma:

Anyone know how to correct speedo error my 88 Formula with a 4.9 Cad engine and auto trans with 225/45r17 Mich run flats is running 7 miles /hour fast at 75 miles / hour I can't find anyone to correct it i9n the Tucson Phoenix area . Help

have a cop ether follow you and clock your speed or hit you with a radar gun while you are driving at a certain speed by you speedo, you can also send the speedo into a shop to have it certified, not cheap and they will need to know lots of info about your car tires and trany I believe.

not sure how far you are from this place but give them a call.

http://www.dicksspeedotach.com/

there's also this place in Tuscon

http://www.yellowpages.com/...11?lid=1000309256256

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-19-2014).]

maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are you sure the vss gear is correct? i read a ton of info and specific threads related to spedo gears and transmissions/rear ends/tire sizes etc. when i had speedo problems. there are at least 3 different plastic color gears.probably you have the wrong one, or you can compensate by getting different one for your "off" .
2268irma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2268irmaSend a Private Message to 2268irmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I called the Cadillac dealer and he thought you have to flash the computer . What is the vss gear and where is it located in the trans?
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dont know how it works exactly but on an auto it is below the alternator with 2 wires and metal clips to hold it in place. the different gears tell the speedo about revolutions which are determined and affected by things like different tire sizes/gearing etc. you can probably just try different ones that have different amount of teeth until your gauge is accurate.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no speedo gear on the 4T60E. It uses a magnetic pick up with a reluctor ring set up for 24,000 PPM (Pulses Per Mile). No you can't get a reluctor ring cut witha different number of teeth. The ECM needs to be programmed for the actual PPM input. This can be done by the person who programmed your ECM. Hit me up if you don't have someone who did your programming.

4T60E VSS pick up

Not the 4T60E reluctor ring but a generic example

The 4.9 Caddy ECM uses a PROM chip, not flash programming. The plus on this is that you can 'reprogram' your ECM by swapping the chip. Flash programming would have required you to send the ECM to someone to have it programmed.

My emai if you don't have someone else to program the ECMl - gofast@reddevilriver.com

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-21-2014).]

maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry,
i was talking about fiero speedos, thanks for giving corrected info phonedawg.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero speedo correction is very simple. Remove the plastic lens on the cluster. Slip off the speedo needle...it just pulls straight off. Use or borrow a GPS and go up to say 60 mph (middle of the band)on the freeway and hold it steady while you push the needle back on to match the reading on the GPS. Then in the normal driving range of 35-70 its very accurate. It just is off more than a mile or two under 35 or over 80...and in either of those cases, its not that important anyway. Works everytime and requires no parts or dismantling anything. I did all 3 of mine. I reset false reading gas gauges the same way...I just reinstall the needle when its almost completely empty. You dont need to know when its over full.
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great tip, roger. thanks
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im assuming the speedo works, just dont read correctly.....
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Fiero speedo correction is very simple. Remove the plastic lens on the cluster. Slip off the speedo needle...it just pulls straight off. Use or borrow a GPS and go up to say 60 mph (middle of the band)on the freeway and hold it steady while you push the needle back on to match the reading on the GPS. Then in the normal driving range of 35-70 its very accurate. It just is off more than a mile or two under 35 or over 80...and in either of those cases, its not that important anyway. Works everytime and requires no parts or dismantling anything. I did all 3 of mine. I reset false reading gas gauges the same way...I just reinstall the needle when its almost completely empty. You dont need to know when its over full.

Old School Rules.

Steve
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay