Clutch options for 3800sc to 4 spd by Lou and Blue
Started on: 05-18-2014 12:27 AM
Replies: 7 (165 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 05-19-2014 07:26 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueClick Here to Email Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I NEED to get a spec brand clutch? What other options are there? 3800sc to stock 4 SPD.
Thanks!
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTClick Here to Email Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any clutch that was designed for that transmission will do just fine.

I will add one little piece of advice: Don't spend much on the clutch... I suspect you will be replacing that 4spd trans soon behind a 3800... And you will miss that 5th gear.

I real some important breakthroughs are being made on the F23. I'm trying hard to document everything I'm learning from my F23 swap so that anyone will be able to successfully swap one at home.

Cheers!
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueClick Here to Email Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post links to the least expensive clutch setups that will work with the 4 SPD and fit the 3800 (ground modified) flywheel?
Also is the reason for me not keeping the mincie just that ill miss 5 th gear , or do the 3800sc motors blow them up?
Thanks
Louis

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 05-18-2014).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should NOT get the "cheapest" clutch for a 3800SC motor. It WILL NOT hold the torque of the 3800sc! I will even sell you a Spec clutch and PP for $225 + shipping barely used. send me a PM

There are some on here that do run the 4 sp trans behind a 3800sc with no issues
No you will not "blow it up" unless you abuse it often.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueClick Here to Email Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

You should NOT get the "cheapest" clutch for a 3800SC motor. It WILL NOT hold the torque of the 3800sc! I will even sell you a Spec clutch and PP for $225 + shipping barely used. send me a PM

There are some on here that do run the 4 sp trans behind a 3800sc with no issues
No you will not "blow it up" unless you abuse it often.

Oh I WILL abuse it! But not too often. I promise.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouyClick Here to Email Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran a muncie 4 spd behind an L67 for 6 years without a problem but you will need a quality clutch that will take the torque the L67 puts out
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

Any clutch that was designed for that transmission will do just fine.

I will add one little piece of advice: Don't spend much on the clutch... I suspect you will be replacing that 4spd trans soon behind a 3800... And you will miss that 5th gear.

I real some important breakthroughs are being made on the F23. I'm trying hard to document everything I'm learning from my F23 swap so that anyone will be able to successfully swap one at home.

Cheers!

??? I was under the impression the V6 Muncie was about as strong of a transmission as you could get...
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueClick Here to Email Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So happy to hear good things about my transmission. This will save me the money and mods of buying a different transmission. ( and I like the name Muncie better than Getrag too- not that that matters)

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: