Need Help FAST: Starter Issues by codex653
Started on: 05-17-2014 08:29 PM
Replies: 6 (111 views)
Last post by: codex653 on 05-17-2014 10:51 PM
codex653

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for codex653Send a Private Message to codex653Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so my starter blew the other day while filling up with gas and had to have some friends come push me so I could pop the clutch and start the engine manually. I've spent the past two days trying to get this thing back up and running again but nothing I do seems to be working! I replaced the starter (twice) thinking I just got a bad one, made sure it had the proper gapping between the gears, changed the high current power wiring to 2 gauge and cleaned all electrical terminals with a wire brush, did a voltage drop test from the battery to the starter (drop of 0.7 volts when cranking), had my battery tested to make sure it wasn't dead or dying, and even made sure to try and charge the battery from another car for an hour before trying to start it again. MY CAR STILL WON'T START. At least in normal conditions anyways. One ridiculous quirk I found is that I could get the engine to turn over and start when I had the back end of the car raised up on jack stands. It turned over with a little bit of grunting and then the engine would roar to life. But then as soon as I lower the car back on to all 4 wheels, all I get is a rapid clicking noise from the starter solenoid. Raise it again and you could make it start.

What the heck is going on here??? Is there something I've missed or that I could check? I REALLY need this car to be working for my job this summer.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jakejoseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jakejosephSend a Private Message to jakejosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing that your ground strap is intermittent.
codex653

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for codex653Send a Private Message to codex653Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jakejoseph:

I'm guessing that your ground strap is intermittent.

By ground strap do you mean the big fat ground cable that comes directly off the battery and bolts into the engine block? As far as I know the starter is grounded through the engine block, yes?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by codex653:

By ground strap do you mean the big fat ground cable that comes directly off the battery and bolts into the engine block? As far as I know the starter is grounded through the engine block, yes?

yes it is, just where is yours bolted to the block? if it is bolted to a accessory mount make sure the accessory mount is clean and those bolts are tight as well if it is just grounded to anywhere else. make sure everything is clean between both ends of the ground at the battery and the block.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jakejoseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jakejosephSend a Private Message to jakejosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One ridiculous quirk I found is that I could get the engine to turn over and start when I had the back end of the car raised up on jack stands.

Is it even remotely possible, that the car is stuck in gear? That might explain it.
codex653

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for codex653Send a Private Message to codex653Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jakejoseph:

Is it even remotely possible, that the car is stuck in gear? That might explain it.

Nah I really don't think so...I haven't been having any issues at all with shifting before everything broke, and I can still feel the gears shift in and out when messing with the stick. The rear wheels also spin freely :P
codex653

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for codex653Send a Private Message to codex653Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

codex653

10 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Whelp, I ran out of daylight. Time to finish up with the grounding checks tomorrow and see how it runs.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock