87Gt 4.9 Swap by CaptHowdy
Started on: 05-16-2014 11:33 PM
Replies: 10 (429 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 05-21-2014 12:07 AM
CaptHowdy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptHowdySend a Private Message to CaptHowdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am starting a 4.9 swap this week. So far I have the cradle dropped from my 87 GT and I have pulled the eng/trans from the donor car (I believe it is a 91 Seville). I plan to use the stock 5spd and am going to try to keep this swap as simple (cheap) as possible. I hope to have this done by the end of the summer. Is there any source for mounts for this swap? I tried doing a search for some but couldn't find much to go off of. Hopefully one of the gurus will chime in on this one
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be pulling my 4.9 in the next few days to replace the engine (over reved it). I can take pictures of my mounts as a reference for you. I did use West Coast Fiero's trans mounts but built my own for the engine.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

CaptHowdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptHowdySend a Private Message to CaptHowdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be great. I don't mean to be greedy, but can you get rough dimensions while you are at it? Like maybe just hold a ruler up to it while you are taking pictures?
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a motor mount for a 4.9 for your 87

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fie...&hash=item2585a1e807
CaptHowdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptHowdySend a Private Message to CaptHowdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks but those are all sold out. But at least it gives me an idea of how I need to make my own, if it comes to that
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most people seem to build their own. They're not to bad to build, just have to pay attention to the axle location when you build the back one.

Here's a link to my build...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/129733-2.html

I'm just starting the wiring and hoping to be done in the next 6 weeks.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 05-19-2014).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CaptHowdy:

Thanks but those are all sold out. But at least it gives me an idea of how I need to make my own, if it comes to that

He's got MORE for sale again

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 05-19-2014).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that reminds my, I have a Fieroaddiction mount (trunk side) I never used that I need to list...and find...I suppose I should find it first.
CaptHowdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptHowdySend a Private Message to CaptHowdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

He's got MORE for sale again

Those are for an 88 cradle. He is sold out of the 84-87 mounts

CaptHowdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptHowdySend a Private Message to CaptHowdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CaptHowdy

31 posts
Member since Oct 2009
Neil, thanks for the link to your build. This may be a dumb question, but do the 88s have have an actual mount on the front side instead of the torque strut? How do the folks with earlier cradles deal with the front mount?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CaptHowdy:

Neil, thanks for the link to your build. This may be a dumb question, but do the 88s have have an actual mount on the front side instead of the torque strut? How do the folks with earlier cradles deal with the front mount?

No, I believe they are all very similar (but I've only actually worked on an 88 so I could be wrong). I removed the single center mount plate to make room for the exhaust. The front mount is the simplest of the two since there is lots of room and nothing that interferes with it. With the engine blocked up into position, you can build a mount in place quite easily. The back one is a little tougher since you have to make sure you don't interfere with the axle.

You should also review ReallyBig's build thread. He covers the mounts really well. //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/122389-2.html

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 05-21-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock