How hard to replace heater fan? by John W. Tilford
Started on: 05-16-2014 05:46 PM
Replies: 8 (224 views)
Last post by: ammotrup on 05-18-2014 11:18 PM
John W. Tilford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hard is it to replace the heater fan? Mine has started squealing again - it magically fixed itself for over a year. It looks trapped behind some air conditioner plumbing. Removing the plastic "shelf" around the front hood latch (same plastic extends forward to hold the clip-on air deflector) does not look like it would enable fan removal past the air conditioner stuff. I could not see a way to lube the fan/motor - is there a way with it in place? Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked at the link. I'm not concerned about the four screws, I'm concerned about the air conditioner components/tubing which seem to me to block the squirrel cage & motor unit.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I havent done one in ages, but usually just taking out the mounting screws and unpluging the wire harness is about it. The cage comes right out of the hole with the motor. I dont recall anything being inside the ducts anywhere near it.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The squirrel cage is smaller than the mounting plate. So when you detach the mounting plate, you'll have some leeway to move it around to get it past the A/C lines and stuff.
John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Sounds like a basic "remove fasteners and wiggle things around" removal process.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
save the parts that hold the squirrel cage on the shaft, you'll need those to attach it to the new motor
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wiggle around any AC lines. You dont want to open any if you have R-12 in it. It will cost you $150+ to refill it. 134 conversions arent worth crap.
ammotrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ammotrupSend a Private Message to ammotrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced mine today on my '88 and it's about a ten minute job including swapping the blower wheel. Be advised that the parts houses have two numbers linked for the motor and one of them has the vent hole on the wrong side. Check against the old one before you leave the store. It takes a little bit of maneuvering but it comes out with just the disconnection of the two electrical connectors. Also, there is a small spacer on the shaft that needs to be moved over along with the blower wheel. It also a good time to clean out any collected leaves, twigs and rats nests.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock