Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  anyone who know's how to test a ecm with ohm/voltmeter to see if it's bad?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
anyone who know's how to test a ecm with ohm/voltmeter to see if it's bad? by vincent
Started on: 05-15-2014 05:59 PM
Replies: 5 (383 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 05-16-2014 11:37 AM
vincent

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vincentSend a Private Message to vincentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello,
can anyone help me please.
past week i found somewhere on the internet an article about testing your ecm to see if its bad or not with an voltmeter.
but i couldn't find it anymore.
all information is welcome

grtz
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might be able to check a few individual components, provided the rest of the circuitry didn't skew your (resistance) measurements. You really need a basic knowledge of electronics, however.

Other than some basic "on/off" functions, a few sensor resistance measurements, and the "go/no go" stuff provided by the check engine light and a paperclip, you really need an oscilloscope or a scan tool to get to that level.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-15-2014).]

vincent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vincentSend a Private Message to vincentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my skills are more then the average on/off method.
but the article said something about a easy way to figure out if the ecm xas bad or not.
but i don't remeber it anymore and don't find it anymore.
i searched everything .
i wanna know this because my 1987 fiero cranks but won't start.
i checked the fuses , the relais , the ignition system, the fuel pump (and here is a problem because i don't get fuel at the fuel line that sits before the fuel filter)
someone told me it's possible that the ecm is going bad and that can cos this issue.
i already plugged in a 12V wire at the G pin of the aldl connector that sits underneath the console next to the cigarettelighter.
if i do this i just hear a click sound and nothing else.
so i thought i gonna order a new fuel pump for the tank and then someone said to me , 'wait to order that because it can be the ecm '
vincent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vincentSend a Private Message to vincentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

vincent

20 posts
Member since May 2014

Originally posted by Raydar:

You might be able to check a few individual components, provided the rest of the circuitry didn't skew your (resistance) measurements. You really need a basic knowledge of electronics, however.

Other than some basic "on/off" functions, a few sensor resistance measurements, and the "go/no go" stuff provided by the check engine light and a paperclip, you really need an oscilloscope or a scan tool to get to that level.

i have an oscilloscope and i can get a scan tool

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is rare for an ECM to fail. Fuel pumps go bad all the time (according to the number of discussions on this forum), so it is much more likely that your ECM is good and your fuel pump is the problem. The usual way to test for a bad ECM is to get another one, because they are inexpensive....(but maybe shipping cost will be high for you).
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pumps fail at a much higher rate that ECMs. At least 10 - 1. ECMs rarely fail.

Your engine won't start without fuel and you know now when you apply voltage to the fuel pump wire you are not getting fuel. That needs to be fixed first.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock