How do I fix broken door molding? by huracan2015
Started on: 05-15-2014 04:57 PM
Replies: 6 (974 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 05-15-2014 09:41 PM
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I slammed my door too hard today, and all of the old original plastic clips broke. How to I get the molding off completely so I can replace the clips that the Fiero Store sells?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hurancan, get a Fiero Shop Manual. Really. It will make all the difference in the world for you working on your own car. And not the Haynes one or similar. The real shop manual.

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 05-15-2014).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if your clips are really broken. If someone tried to put the molding back on previously, it may be they didn't get the clip fully seated in the molding. The trick is to use a thin smooth bar to hold out the top of the clip from the door. Lift up on the molding, pry out the top of the clip and push the molding onto the clip. There will still be room to remove your bar. I have used a paint can lid remover with most of the hook sanded off. I have had great success many times. You have nothing to lose but you may want to put masking tape above the molding just to make sure you don't scratch the paint. I have done it many times to my 87 GT without scratching the paint. Your other choice is to just remove the door skin and pull out the old clips. Put the skin back on. put the Fiero store clips in the molding and press them in place.

------------------
woodys 427

Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use 2 putty knifes. one at the bottom to pry the molding slightly upward (releasing the top), and the other to pop out the top. Do the same for all the clips. If they all have both the little fingers, they should be good to hold the molding on. To install the molding on the clips, slip the bottom on first over the fingers, and push it slightly upward while you smack the molding down at the top with the palm of your hand.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you guys, but I think you mis understood what I was asking. First of all, the clips are broken. Pieces of them fell off onto the ground when i slammed the door. Second, since they are all broken, the trim is almost off. I just don't know how to unattach the ends. Are there screws or rivets, or are they just snapped on? I can't seem to figure it out.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember correctly, the rear of the molding has a plastic press fit pin that you simply pry up on to detach. The front is held on by a screw. What I don't remember is if you open your door as far as it will go, the screw may be visible along the front edge of the door or you may have to take off the inner door panel to access the screw.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock