Switching Between Headrest and B Pillar Speakers by jschmidt95
Started on: 05-15-2014 08:24 AM
Replies: 15 (631 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 05-15-2014 07:54 PM
jschmidt95

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've searched around a lot and Can't find a case of anyone trying this before. I want to have both my headrest Speakers and B pillar speakers wired up and have a switch to change which set I want on.
The closest thing I could find was a wiring diagram like this from Scrapyard Electric

Does this look like it would work? And Could I wire up both sets of headrest speakers (as in both left speakers together and both right speakers together) together in series without overloading anything?

-John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This topic will be of great reference to me! Years ago I physically installed the speakers & girlls into the pillars, but never got around to wiring them up.

If I have anything to share I will do so.

Thank you for posting this.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jschmidt95:

... And Could I wire up both sets of headrest speakers (as in both left speakers together and both right speakers together) together in series without overloading anything?

Overkill to have all that running at once (you still only have 2 ears) ... but okay...

Scroll down to Parallel/Series wiring (Section 38) http://bcae1.com/

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Overkill to have all that running at once (you still only have 2 ears) ... but okay...

Yet a lot of cars on the road today have 6, 8 or even 10 speakers or more in them. I would hook both sets up.

Kevin
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I think some have misunderstood me I want to have the switch in place to have EITHER the headrest speakers OR the Pillar speakers. I'm and Audio/Lighting tech student at Wayne State and I'm 90% sure that having both sets running would give you some weird phasing, but I've never dealt with anything like this before lol. I'm going to keep researching....
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jschmidt95

92 posts
Member since Jan 2013
Thanks for the link Fierosound! I really Like that website!

I'm thinking after reading this that I still want to wire the speakers in series, correct?

because if I wired them in parallel, it would 'double' the load on the amplifier, something I don't want to do to my stock Delco CD head unit.
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jschmidt95

92 posts
Member since Jan 2013
would there be a problem having all 6 of the speakers sharing the same ( - )? as you can see in the original switch wiring I threw up there, all the speakers share the same ground, and only the ( + ) side of the circuit is switched between speakers
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

would there be a problem having all 6 of the speakers sharing the same ( - )? as you can see in the original switch wiring I threw up there, all the speakers share the same ground, and only the ( + ) side of the circuit is switched between speakers

No problem. Problem would come using them at the same time which would put the speakers in parallel doubling the load on the stereo if the speakers are the same ohms.

Kevin
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Scroll down to Parallel/Series wiring (Section 38) http://bcae1.com/

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Yet a lot of cars on the road today have 6, 8 or even 10 speakers or more in them. I would hook both sets up.

Kevin

Ayup, but all those cars have a lot more cabin space now don't they.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Ayup, but all those cars have a lot more cabin space now don't they.

Steve

True, but how many does the Fiero NEED? 1? 2? 4?...

"A large number of speakers makes a lot of sense. Since you sit very close to the speakers by default in a car, using more smaller ones instead of less lager ones will give you a more homogeneous sound field for all passengers with the same volume capabilities as the aforementioned system. I just saw a drawing of the Burmester (German high end audio manufacturer) speaker system in the Porsche Panamera. The sheer amount of speakers will give all passengers a great listening experience while the single drivers are pretty small and thus non-intrusive."

http://forums.finalgear.com...y-is-too-many-43488/

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 05-15-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

True, but how many does the Fiero NEED? 1? 2? 4?...

Kevin

seeing it originally only had 6 I would say those 6 would be more than enough and give ideal listening quality to Both passenger as Fieros only have the seating capacity of 2. I liked the setup in our 84 with 6, 2 in each seat and thought the sound was good, lots better than our 86 SE with only 4 but that's just my opinion. if I remember right all the manufacturers spend a lot of money designing their radios and speaker placement with each vehicle. larger vehicles with more seating capacity would naturally need more speakers in more places but how many and where depends on the vehicle and places available to put speakers as well now doesn't it.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best sound is going to come from having the left and right speakers equal distances from your ears. The headrest speakers are as close to perfectly spaced as you're likely to get. The subwoofer, if so equiped, is omni-directional and therefore functions fine as a single driver in just about any location. The dash speakers are not the same distance from your left and right ears but the front-to-rear distance of them to your ears lessens that problem. The passenger side speaker is about 2x as far from you as the driver's side.

The B-pillar speakers have the worst placement problems of all these. One is right by your head and the other is right by the passenger's head. One is about a foot away and the other is about 4-5 times as far away. If you try to balance the sound so that your right side equals your left side, the passenger will get blasted by the right side and completely lose the left side.

You will lose stereo imaging if you go with B-pillar speakers. If you try to use headrest and B-pillar speakers together (I know you said separately) you will not hear the passenger side B-pillar speaker at all. Your passenger will not hear the driver's side B-pillar speaker.

So really, B-pillar speakers are a compromise at best and any attempt to create a "sweet spot" for yourself will ruin the sound for the passenger. If you have headrest speakers, stick with them or upgrade them. You'll be hearing the music as it was meant to be heard.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kevin

True - because they're likely components to separate the frequencies - not all full-range speakers.

This loaner I'm driving has tweets in the dash and mid-range/mid-bass in the fronts doors.
Then 2-way full-range speakers in the rear plus 1 sub-woofer.

My GT has 13 speakers in it.

FRONT STAGE (where you want your music to be) is :
Left (T/M/MB) Center (full-range) Right (MB/M/T)
7 speakers, but 3 channels (left, center, right) - and count as 3 "speakers"

Rear Fill is:
T/M on a 4"x6" plate each side.
4 speakers, but 2 channels (left, right) - and count as 2 "speakers"

Plus a 10" sub behind each seat
- not separate channels per se, but low bass extension of the left/right front channels

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-15-2014).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason for many speakers, is not so much for volume, but for quality sound, remember the speakers in a Fiero are tiny.. they don't reproduce music at anything past modest volume.. but if you add extra speakers, the load per driver as same volume is a lot less, allowing them to reproduce the signal much better.. Ideally the head rest drivers should be mid range only.. and a good set of mid drivers, and a quality amp.. with the pillar speakers more of a mid highs as neither spot/size drivers are good for any type of low end.. the drivers are to small.. yes some have made systems in the oem that use tiny drivers with a sub.. or tiny drivers with long ports (bose comes to mind) . honestly I'd like to try a set of head rest sized drivers 3.5" installed backwards with the driver cone and grill facing the rear window.. allowing the sound to bounce off it.. instead of the sound right beside my ears.. as most 3.5" drivers are very harsh at the mid to upper range.. unless you spend some bucks..
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wired in a set of 85 seats with speakers into my 87GT. Eight speaker system. I seldom play music and normally listen to talk radio. The 8 speaker system does make a difference in the fidelity. I didn't wire in a separator switch, but if you really wanted to, it wouldn't be difficult to do it with a DPDT switch.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've searched around a lot and Can't find a case of anyone trying this before. I want to have both my headrest Speakers and B pillar speakers wired up and have a switch to change which set I want on.
The closest thing I could find was a wiring diagram like this from Scrapyard Electric

Does this look like it would work? And Could I wire up both sets of headrest speakers (as in both left speakers together and both right speakers together) together in series without overloading anything?

-John

Porsche had a remote fader knob that they wired externally on the Porsche 944 back in the day. I used to own a Porsche 944, and ended up replacing the factory radio with an OEM looking Blaupunkt that could play CDs, but didn't look out of place. Anyway, I added an additional set of tweeters in the car (in the back), and i used the fader to basically adjust the gain between the rear speakers, and the tweeters. When the knob was in the middle (with a divot so you knew you were spot-on in the middle), both speakers got equal power. When the knob was in either direction, it would decrease power from one, and increase to the other. At the utmost extremes, I could disable the tweaters and give full power to the rear speakers, or disable the rear speakers and provide full power to the tweaters in the back.

Assuming you set up the ohms and wattage correctly, something like that would work really well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock