Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How long should a pressurized intake hold pressure?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How long should a pressurized intake hold pressure? by Tweeder
Started on: 05-15-2014 01:03 AM
Replies: 4 (186 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 05-15-2014 09:56 PM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found a few leaks by pressurizing the intake through an adapter on the throttle body. I have also,done the carb cleaner trick as well. I have really bad hearing so it's hard to pinpoint where a leak is coming from. I've had leaks from the maf, iac, upper intake under the supercharger, octopus on the top and an injector o ring. I just found a leak in the coolant loop thingy under the throttle body and sealed that up. Now if I pressurize the intake upto 20 psi it takes about 20-30 seconds for it to bleed down, no some or all might be coming from my contraption itself. The last 10 psi takes the longest to bleed. Does that sound acceptable?

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm surprised it lasts that long. normally it will/can bleed down real quick. I never tried it on a SC engine, the SC itself might be sealing it. as normally you will have a valve open, and leak down pass the rings or any valve overlap and it just all leaks out. When I pressure test for leaks I leave the compressor hooked up with a regulator for pressure.
I tried the "just add pressure and check" but real quick I found that doesn't work.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a cap with a one way air valve like on your tire, and it's clamped to a silicone coupler and that's clamped to the throttlebody. Then I plug the lined at the octopus thingy, and the port off the throttlebody that goes to the,purge solenoid. I have no boost bypass or egr so no leaks from there. I have a vacuum guage at one port at the octopus, and I add air through the throttlebody and watch the guage and spray soapy water all over and look of bubbles. I have done this numerous times on this motor as well as others. Sometimes I can't access certain parts of the engine as with carb cleaner it has to be upright, so a spray bottle gets the solution there.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in sardonyx24 corner. Ring gap, valve overlap, etc. your going to loose pressure real quick. You may have a better shot by forcing a potato into each tail pipe then pressurize the whole system head to toe.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well what ever I'm doing seems to be working as I have found a few leaks this way. I see now with all other factors it will not get a perfect seal, but I'm happy for now with a 20-30 second bleed down from 20 psi.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock