Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Isuzu 5 speed for an 84, what speedo gear?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Isuzu 5 speed for an 84, what speedo gear? by KillerFrogg
Started on: 05-14-2014 03:58 PM
Replies: 7 (197 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 05-17-2014 06:46 AM
KillerFrogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple enough I think. I have the engine/trans out of my '84, and I figured now would be a good time to put a 5 speed in. I love the 4 speed with the 4.10, it is kind of hard not to when the car is just a toy, but I would like to daily drive/road trip with the car more.

Biggest question I have, what is it going to take to get the speedo hooked up? Is the 85+ sensor the same as the 84? Does it talk fine with the 84 dash/computer? If the sensors are the same what gear do i need to use, the one that came with the 5 speed?

Anything appreciated, and I am also looking for a 5 speed =) so if you are in Michigan, and want one gone, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

[This message has been edited by KillerFrogg (edited 05-14-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one bump, then ill let it go till i find a trans =)
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put an Isuzu in my '84. No issues with the speedo at all. Plug and play.

Don't forget you'll also need a shifter, both cables, the throwout bearing and the slave for the Isuzu... and you'll need to rewire the backup light switch.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-16-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the VSS still in the Isuzu, use it. It should have the correct gear for the Isuzu. All the VSS's are identical. Just the gears were different tooth counts, and that includes the ring gear in the trans that drives the VSS.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What the others said. The VSS and gear in the Isuzu should be fine.
Since yours has the 4.10, I'm assuming it also has the 14" aluminum wheels. Those are the same wheels and tires (diameter) that came on the later cars, so you won't have to change anything. Changes to the rolling diameter of the tire/wheel assembly is what requires a different gear.
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I knew about all of the hardware I need to do the swap, but I forgot about the slave! Thanks!

Past that, the speedo compatibility has been the biggest hang up in figuring this out. Now to dig up the hardware I need. Looking at something like 2 weeks or so while my cylinder head is getting worked on, and probably another two-three for reassembly, so I have a good bit of time to dig up what I need.

Thanks!
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KillerFrogg

202 posts
Member since Apr 2013

Originally posted by Raydar:

Changes to the rolling diameter of the tire/wheel assembly is what requires a different gear.

Ahhh ok. That makes sense now as to the different gears for the speedo. Yeah, I have the 14in with about as much oxide on them as metal. With factory size tires uncommon, I have been leaning toward going to a 16in with 205/55s or something like that. I end up with a slightly taller tire, but one that is much easier to get.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you go to larger tires, try to find yourself a 29 tooth VSS gear. The smaller gear will cause the VSS to spin faster to compensate for the slower RPM of the tires.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock