Seized inlet fuel filter nut!! Help :( by PribanicS
Started on: 05-14-2014 03:26 PM
Replies: 10 (383 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-14-2014 07:24 PM
PribanicS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It won't come off and I've tried spraying PB blaster too. I'm afraid I might twist the fuel lines if I attempt any more. I read on another forum where people were talking about using a torch but that doesn't sound like a very brillant idea considering it's a fuel line and all.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are using 2 open end flare wrenches to loosen the nut aren’t you??? 1 on the line and 1 on the filter. Even 2 regular wrenches will work (not as well) but DON’T do it with just 1 wrench or you will twist the line and be up S creek
PribanicS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

You are using 2 open end flare wrenches to loosen the nut aren’t you??? 1 on the line and 1 on the filter. Even 2 regular wrenches will work (not as well) but DON’T do it with just 1 wrench or you will twist the line and be up S creek

I don't have any flare wrenches. Also the filter appears to be held in place enough by the screw below. I thought I was doing it right because I got the outlet out of the filter. Could you describe a little more though.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

You are using 2 open end flare wrenches to loosen the nut aren’t you??? 1 on the line and 1 on the filter.

Exactly.

Originally posted by Patrick:

And use flare wrenches. You'll be very unhappy you didn't if the filter connections are real tight and/or corroded.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used locking vice grips also. Just work the nut back and forth a little and some pb-blaster. If you turn it without working it, it will twist off, most likely.
PribanicS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I found a flared wrench as described. Could y'all explain having two wrenches in detail? Is it that one holds the filter still and you twist on the (5/8's?) nut? I just don't want to screw anything up.

[This message has been edited by PribanicS (edited 05-14-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PribanicS:

Hey guys, I found a flared wrench as described.

You'll need two.

Could y'all explain having two wrenches in detail?

It isn't rocket science. One wrench holds the "nut" which is part of the filter, and the second wrench goes on the nut of the flare fitting on the tube. The flare fitting nut turns, the filter nut doesn't. If you position the wrenches correctly, you can simply squeeze the two wrenches together with one hand to loosen the fitting.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-14-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
exactly, the big nut is part of the filter and you want to simply hold that one with one wrench to keep it from moving while you loosen the smaller nut that's part of the tubing with the other wrench. Usually they aren't frozen, just tight. make sure you're turning it the right way too. Look at the threads inside your filter if you aren't sure.
PribanicS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I feel like I just wasted everybody's time....after contemplating it for a half hour I turned the other direction and BAM it came loose. I feel like such a moron about now.....thanks for the help guys! The car runs good now but tons of brownish/black gunk came out of the old filter (is this typical?) which appeared to be mostly rust.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...after contemplating it for a half hour I turned the other direction and BAM it came loose.

...tons of brownish/black gunk came out of the old filter (is this typical?)

No.

Good thing you've changed the filter, but hopefully your gas tank isn't full of the same crap.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I feel like I just wasted everybody's time....after contemplating it for a half hour I turned the other direction and BAM it came loose. I feel like such a moron about now.....thanks for the help guys! The car runs good now but tons of brownish/black gunk came out of the old filter (is this typical?) which appeared to be mostly rust.

Homer says "D'oh"

Junk is common. Many filter haven't been change ever and will have allot of trash.
GM mounts most filters of this type on it's side. Mounted on side make filter as sump and everything heavy will have time to sink to bottom of filter, not block filter media.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock