1988 GT won't start after sitting for 6 months by hcforde
Started on: 05-13-2014 11:13 PM
Replies: 21 (454 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 06-03-2014 06:20 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It started and ran well up to that time. I have tried 2 other batteries that work with my other cars but the 88 will turn on the lights fan, etc. The horn makes like a buzzing sound rather than a honk, and when I turn the key nothing. absolutely nothing. No whirrrrr from the fuel pump, no click from the starter, nothing.

Any suggestions on where to start to troubleshoot this? Could the starter/solenoid have locked up somehow? In the starting sequence does one faulty component stop the other from initiating? I want to start working on them again and the other Fiero's will start up with no issues.

The last thing I want to hear is that the fuel pump is bad, and that is the first thing I need to change.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
msrservices

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the car have a kill switch under the dash?

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely one of the ground wires or the wire to the starter. No big problem, just clean them up. Larry
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

Does the car have a kill switch under the dash?

No, I would be aware of that. I am the only driver.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Likely one of the ground wires or the wire to the starter. No big problem, just clean them up. Larry

OK, I will look at them.

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you inspect the battery cables, at the battery for acid buildup (you need to look at the contact ends)?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should have occasionally driven it and you wouldnt have had a problem Things like this always back me up about people storing cars for long periods of at least several months having all kinds of problems. Yours does sound like a bad connection somewhere...cable ends, grounds, junction box, fusible links, etc.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turn on the headlights and have someone turn it to start. Do the headlights go out during this? If so you have a bad connection to the battery. Headlights stay on - then your problem is elsewhere.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You should have occasionally driven it and you wouldnt have had a problem Things like this always back me up about people storing cars for long periods of at least several months having all kinds of problems. Yours does sound like a bad connection somewhere...cable ends, grounds, junction box, fusible links, etc.

I agree, when we put the Fiero away for the winter, its Maine winters can last 6 months sometimes with the snow and all. So I try to at least once a month to go out and start it and let it run until warmed up. but as others have said check all connections, all it takes is one corroded connection to keep a car from starting, I love Reba, the name our daughter gave all our Fieros, as she has never failed to start even after a few months of not being run.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Did you inspect the battery cables, at the battery for acid buildup (you need to look at the contact ends)?

Just to be sure I went out and bought a new battery. Same symptoms!!!!!!!. The wires are clean at the battery. I did not think I would have this problem in Austin, TX. We are in a drought. The other 3 cars that can start, do so without any issues.

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

They have hidden the starter on these making that cable hard to access. Naturally, this is the one I wanted to start working on to bring it back to pristine condition. The others will require much more work than this one. I did not think I would have an issue because it had been garaged all of its life. It was working well when I parked it. NOW I KNOW.

PFF
System Bot
Butcheroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButcherooSend a Private Message to ButcherooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it an automatic or a standard ?

If automatic - has the shifter been bumped, so that the neutral safety switch is not working ?

If standard - is the clutch safety switch working ?

Dale
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Turn on the headlights and have someone turn it to start. Do the headlights go out during this? If so you have a bad connection to the battery. Headlights stay on - then your problem is elsewhere.

I will try that tonight
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by Butcheroo:

Is it an automatic or a standard ?

If automatic - has the shifter been bumped, so that the neutral safety switch is not working ?

If standard - is the clutch safety switch working ?

Dale

It is Automatic. I tried to start it in Park and Neutral. I will take a deeper look at that also.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can check the safety switch by holding the key on and moving the shifter while you hold the button down thru all the gears. If you hit a sweet spot thats not aligned right, youll have it crank.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can check the safety switch by holding the key on and moving the shifter while you hold the button down thru all the gears. If you hit a sweet spot thats not aligned right, youll have it crank.

Ayup, have had more than one ford that I had to literally pull up on the column gear shift lever to get the starter to engage.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Ayup, have had more than one ford that I had to literally pull up on the column gear shift lever to get the starter to engage.

Steve

Nice anti-theft feature on the car huh, lol!!
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Really, Larry!!! It can't be that simple.

LOL.....................I went out and decided to clip a wire from the engine to the negative battery terminal. Turned the key and got a click. turned it again and the starter engaged and it started right up. It WAS that easy. I had gone out and purchased a toner to trace wires, an automotive multimeter, A LED flex camera so I could work on this properly. Oh well, I can take them back or maybe do an engine swap. Yeah, amateur night at my place coming to a forum near you soon.

Thanks again Larry, Roger, Phonedawg and everyone else.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always start with the simplest and less likely first. Glad you got it running, and if you get your money back, hasnt cost you anything. If your battery is more than 4 years old, it not a bad idea to keep the new one though.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or, if it can't be driven, but runs, run it till fully warm once in a while. When my 88 t-top coupe was "grounded" for a year because of a bad throw-out bearing (requiring a big job to change a small part), I ran it once in a while until I got around to dropping the cradle and changing the part. It started right up when I was done, and now I'm driving it every day.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I always start with the simplest and less likely first. Glad you got it running, and if you get your money back, hasnt cost you anything. If your battery is more than 4 years old, it not a bad idea to keep the new one though.

Thanks Roger, You are very diplomatic. You have a nice way of reminding me of the K.I.S.S. theory. LOL I did keep the new battery in it as I plan on puttting some nice touches on it. This is the one below that I drove from Chicago to Austin.

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - "Trailered" back from California going to be restored (in storage)
1986 GT, highly modified engine/exhaust, but slave/clutch issue - Trailered back from Las Cruces, NM Chop-top candidate (in storage)
1986 SE, bought locally, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate (in storage)

PFF
System Bot
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Or, if it can't be driven, but runs, run it till fully warm once in a while. When my 88 t-top coupe was "grounded" for a year because of a bad throw-out bearing (requiring a big job to change a small part), I ran it once in a while until I got around to dropping the cradle and changing the part. It started right up when I was done, and now I'm driving it every day.

The other 3 runners started up except this one. The 86 4 cylinder I have parked at the house so I would drive it around the neighborhood at least once a month.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock