Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Do I need to have my car level to drain transmission fluid and change gasket?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Do I need to have my car level to drain transmission fluid and change gasket? by huracan2015
Started on: 05-12-2014 09:39 PM
Replies: 6 (324 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-13-2014 10:57 AM
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Backed up my car onto some ramps for the first time today, and I realized the auto transmission gasket is old and dried up. The fluid is seeping out, but not dripping. I'm going to drop the pan next week and change the gasket, filter, and replace the fluid (only what naturally drains out, I was told a flush is bad for the car) and was wondering if the car needs to be level to drain out as much fluid as possible. If so, I'll need to take my car to a shop where they have a lift. I can only put mine up on ramps., which raises the back up about 1.5 feet.

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 05-12-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear on ramps is what you want for this job. Loosen all the automatic transaxle pan bolts by starting with the ones toward the front of the car. Work your way around both directions until the forward part of the pan is leaning downward. Let the fluid flow out like this. As it gets slower, loosen the bolts more to allow the pan to hang lower.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NEVER,NEVER flush an automatic transmission! this will often loosen up small particles than can ruin your transmission

.. the fluid is not all removed when you change A/T fluid....In a car you plan to keep ?? a good idea to change it again at 10,000 miles,so the transmission will go 200,000 miles
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

NEVER,NEVER flush an automatic transmission! this will often loosen up small particles than can ruin your transmission

.. the fluid is not all removed when you change A/T fluid....In a car you plan to keep ?? a good idea to change it again at 10,000 miles,so the transmission will go 200,000 miles

That's exactly what I have heard. don't worry, I won't do it. Just a drain and fill.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Rear on ramps is what you want for this job. Loosen all the automatic transaxle pan bolts by starting with the ones toward the front of the car. Work your way around both directions until the forward part of the pan is leaning downward. Let the fluid flow out like this. As it gets slower, loosen the bolts more to allow the pan to hang lower.

Ok thank you! That sounds really easy.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Automatic
Get's most old oil w/o flushing.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive actually seen transmission shops drain fluid out of an older car, keep it and strain it, and reuse it to keep the trans from failing. Everyone Ive known, including reputable shops dont recommend a flush or changing fluid on a car that hasnt had them regularly before. If you have had it changed every 30-40K since new, then it wont hurt. Few people ever do that though. Im one of those thats had trans go out after a fluid change and dont do it anymore. Its a sealed unit so I drive it till it quits even if its 200K.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock