3800 SC hard start by Merlinhaggard
Started on: 05-12-2014 07:08 PM
Replies: 6 (149 views)
Last post by: Merlinhaggard on 05-14-2014 06:46 PM
Merlinhaggard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardClick Here to Email MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of a sudden, the motor turns over really slow. Its eating my battery right up when I try to crank it. With a brand new totally charged battery, it turns really slow and drains the battery right down. Last week it was cranking like crazy and running really well. I was burping the coolant. Got it done, killed it and pulled it into th garage. This weekend I went to start it and above is what I got??? Starter?? When it was running before it didnt get hot and wasnt smoking so I dont think I burned the motor up. It is turning over, just really slow and draining the battery with 1 try..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My worry is how much running time did this engine have with no oil pressure, Take a wrench and turn the engine over by the harmonic balancer to see just how hard it is to turn over.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsClick Here to Email hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may also want to consider a heat soaked starter as a potential problem area. One of my cars had a similar issue and I had to rebuild the starter to cure the problem. Try Dan's procedure first and if the engine turns over fairly easily, take a look at the starter and/or the electrical connections to it.

Nelson
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Battery is trying to give up the ghost?

Originally posted by Merlinhaggard:

All of a sudden, the motor turns over really slow. Its eating my battery right up when I try to crank it. With a brand new totally charged battery, it turns really slow and drains the battery right down. Last week it was cranking like crazy and running really well. I was burping the coolant. Got it done, killed it and pulled it into th garage. This weekend I went to start it and above is what I got??? Starter?? When it was running before it didnt get hot and wasnt smoking so I dont think I burned the motor up. It is turning over, just really slow and draining the battery with 1 try..

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardClick Here to Email MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever that means. I think its the starter. The engine spins well. I ordered a new starter. We shall see.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardClick Here to Email MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I gotto say is :"I LOVE YOU GUYS"

Finally cranked the motor and now it doesnt even labor. I think it was the starter. Started it up, re burped the coolant and the temp is sticking at about 180. I took the thermostat out. So the temp is holding.

Second: Now that I put the plunger in the oil adapter, I have oil pressure. Sorry Dan for bothering you with that. Completely my stupidity. Oil pressure showd about 70 for a while, then after about 10 minutes came down to 40 and stayed there.

The motor sounds better than it ever has. Running perfect. Perfect idle, nice accelleration etc.

Thank you all so much.

All I have now is getting the shifting right. Right now I have reverse, 1st and 2nd. Not getting 3rd or 4th. Ill have to play with the bracket I made.

I ran the car around the block and it was fassssssssst. Oh yea, Im only getting brake on the front right tire. I bled them all. Ill need some advice about that. Otherwise I am super happy and thankful.. I have a video. Gonna try to upload it. I have no idea of how to do it but Ill figure it out quick...
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardClick Here to Email MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock