headpipe for '87 with a duke by Macarchie
Started on: 05-12-2014 04:30 PM
Replies: 5 (137 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-15-2014 10:52 PM
Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieClick Here to Email MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking for a headpipe to finish rebuilding the exhaust. I was thinking about purchasing a new one for an '86 and then bending it to fit an '87. Is that possible? I have an old one off of a donor car that I can use as a template. Does anybody know specifically what the differences are between the '86 and the '87?

Thanks, Jimmy

------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5-spd
1987 Firebird Formula; Blue; 5L; 5-spd

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 550
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get my Email (4/17)?
If not...
Fiero exhaust is "low grade" SS. Surface rust is normal.
87 most likely use same pipe.
You need spring bolts for attach to manifold. (Dorman part get thru many parts stores)

I did find why does not use same #.
87 down pipe come as part of the cat. Why? Is just easy to built at factory. One less clamp to mess with and a dollar saved so bean counters are happy.
code:
22P Page G-22:
12. PIPE. EXH (MANIF to CONV) (1985-86) 10032754
14. CONVERTER CTLTC (1985-86) 25056349
CONVERTER. W/ EXH MANIF PIPE (1987) 10044154

Download at http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

In 88, GM redesign down pipe to stop breaking exh manifold. (page G-23)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieClick Here to Email MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Did you get my Email (4/17)?
If not...
Fiero exhaust is "low grade" SS. Surface rust is normal.
87 most likely use same pipe.
You need spring bolts for attach to manifold. (Dorman part get thru many parts stores)

I did find why does not use same #.
87 down pipe come as part of the cat. Why? Is just easy to built at factory. One less clamp to mess with and a dollar saved so bean counters are happy.
code:
22P Page G-22:
12. PIPE. EXH (MANIF to CONV) (1985-86) 10032754
14. CONVERTER CTLTC (1985-86) 25056349
CONVERTER. W/ EXH MANIF PIPE (1987) 10044154

Download at http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

In 88, GM redesign down pipe to stop breaking exh manifold. (page G-23)

Hey Ogreā€¦ I did get your email (thanks). I messed up by cutting the headpipe on the driver to remove the cat and the pipe I took off the donor car has no clearance between the bend and the cat. If I use the pipe from the donor and cut off the cat (to replace with a new one), there will not be any straight pipe to attach it to. You're right that the original pipe feels solid but the outside looks really rusty. Any ideas on how to use the pipe from the donor car? The blue car is usable now, but it is loud (I think it is leaking where I used a flexible pipe to bypass the cat.) It has to be inspected this month and the exhaust will fail. Not emissions but the safety inspection. I replaced the exhaust manifold, purchased a new cat and am planning to order a new muffler and tailpipe assembly. The only piece I'm missing is the headpipe.
I am open to suggestions!

thanks.

------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5-spd
1987 Firebird Formula; Blue; 5L; 5-spd

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles on donor car?
First try using donor cat or even whole exhaust. Mine is 220,000 miles and pass w/ very low numbers.
(You need to unclip Ebrake cables to get room on blue car.)

If bad etc then cat adapter use two welds for down pipe end of cat....
I think...
Small end of adapter is wrong weld to remove the cat.
you clean big end. Big end should fit new cat too. (Too late to measure.)
Carefully cut cat body enough to see the inside end of adapter.

Usually exhaust fitting are overlapping pipes even when welded. My guess flat area on down pipe is just hidden by adapter.
But don't remover adapter. If needed cut adapter at bell and use it as new flat space. Why? Clean out the weld is easy to get damage to pipe. (Grinding big weld is safer because if goes wrong then just cut adapter and use it w/ a new adapter.)
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All OD...
Down Pipe 2"
small end ~2.15"
big end 2.5"

Might need to carefully grind off weld on down pipe and remove adapter... Many cats for Fiero are 2" ID inlet.
But many muffler shops can stock bigger size inlet/outlet cats.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-15-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
or muffler shop should have tools to expand cat's inlet a bit to fit 2.15" adapter.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock