Started on: 05-12-2014 10:11 AM
Replies: 8 (817 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 05-15-2014 04:03 AM
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm about to embark on a semi-frame restoration job and I was curious where you guys have bought your replacement metal. I'm looking to weld in new metal on the upper rear frame rails, in the trunk area, and also some areas under the rocker panel seam weld. I am also very open to any advice/input on what gauge thickness and material to use. Thanks for any help.

------------------
Christian
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver - Under the knife
06 Cobalt SS/SC w/ LSD (the slow DD)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easiest way is to find an non rusted donor car for parts. The other option is to weld in plates over the cut out rusted areas. I like the first option best.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as I recall , auto body steel "Used to be" about 22 gauge. But if you are replacing it, I'd use thicker "Galvanized".
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
22 for cosmetic, 18 gauge for structural. Any welding shop can generally supply you with the sheet metal you'll need... just look up "welding" in your yellow pages. Be very careful if you decide to buy galvanized steel since welding it is more difficult than plain steel and it gives off poisonous fumes. I don't recommend it.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try not to go with anything thicker, that can make things more difficult unless you are an accomplished welder with experience welding thicker and thinner metal together, you may end up spending wore time fixing holes than welding metal to metal. As well as these cars are just like all the others the metal parts are part of the crush zones and made to absorb the damage. and not crumple other parts. like said any welding shop will have any gauge metal sheets you need.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-12-2014).]

Jims88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try some auto refinish/paint suppliers; I think some of them sell patch metal that is specific for auto repair work.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scrap steel yard, look in the phone book (or try a Google Search for your area).
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Try not to go with anything thicker, that can make things more difficult unless you are an accomplished welder with experience welding thicker and thinner metal together, you may end up spending wore time fixing holes than welding metal to metal.
Steve

x2. When I was welding on my firewall and trunk I spent more time burning holes!

I go to the metal recycler in town. It ranges from about $0.59-$1.50 per pound. You have to take it in the shape or size that it is in or they charge $1.00 per cut (at this place anyways).

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 05-14-2014).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or save yourself a bunch of hassle, and pick up a southern or west coast frame and call it a day I have seen many rust free cars up for sale for dirt cheap, and it is a lot less hassle to transfer your interior or panels than fighting the uphill battle against rust.

Good luck with the project

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock