vacuum leak by sgosser
Started on: 05-12-2014 02:47 AM
Replies: 9 (227 views)
Last post by: Fadingaway on 05-12-2014 11:17 PM
sgosser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to find what sounds like a large leak. sprayed carb cleaner under plenum around the pressure regulator and the engine stumbled. It is idling very high. took plenum loose and cannot see a problem. I did notice the cold start valve hose off but I may have done that while taking off plenum. any ideas for me to troubleshoot more?
thanks

------------------
Scott
85 gt

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the gaskets shot, try replacing the gasket or using Permatex gasket maker before replacing it because that sounds like where you problem is.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you mean the upper and lower intake gaskets?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have an idle over 1500 rpm, there are only about 3 places that allow that much air.....Brake Booster, EGR tube, and the Throttle body hose that you mentioned. They are all a lot easier to check than intake gaskets.
Playindirty1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Playindirty1Send a Private Message to Playindirty1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 gt just had same prob. I used a CLEAN shop vac. And blow into the air intake hose before the TB. Sprayed engine and suspect areas with mild soap and water in spray bottle. Look for bubbles. Mine was in the TB gasket
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so the larger hose going down from the throttle body could be my vacuum leak? I also had not thought of the tb gasket.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sgosser:

so the larger hose going down from the throttle body could be my vacuum leak?

Yes, if it is not hooked up.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plastic vacuum lines under the Plenum, Cracked EGR Tube, IAC tube / hose.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed this engine, cradle, and trans from another car. the egr was deleted on this engine. I will check the tb hose and gasket.
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to the gas station and get a cigar, or two. Get a long vacuum hose and hook it up to any vacuum port you like. Light the cigar and start puffing smoke from your mouth into the hose it shouldn't take much the more you puff the easier it should be to find.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock