Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Are 88 radiator trays differnent that 84-87's?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are 88 radiator trays differnent that 84-87's? by Gokart
Started on: 05-11-2014 08:11 PM
Replies: 13 (269 views)
Last post by: Silicoan86 on 05-20-2014 08:52 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's time to replace mine

I have one from an 86 but not sure it'll fit.
Also, does the radiator need to come out to replace the tray? If so I may end up wedging and riveting a piece of stainless steel in between the top of it and the bottom of the radiator.
Thanks. Marc

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 05-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No one with an 88 has ever had to replace their rad tray?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if the '86 tray will fit or not. But I know the tray can be replaced without removing the radiator. I've done it. The radiator will be suspended by the coolant pipes. It'll probably shift / sag a bit, but you can just push it back up. There's not enough weight to damage the pipes or hoses, unless they're about to fall apart already.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I'm not sure if the '86 tray will fit or not. But I know the tray can be replaced without removing the radiator. I've done it. The radiator will be suspended by the coolant pipes. It'll probably shift / sag a bit, but you can just push it back up. There's not enough weight to damage the pipes or hoses, unless they're about to fall apart already.

Well that great news. Thanks! I have a 22P. Curious if that would give me a clue if the 86 will fit?
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart:

Snip
I have one from an 86 but not sure it'll fit.
Snip

Can't you just hold the one up to the other one in the car and compare?

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 05-12-2014).]

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Can't you just hold the one up to the other one in the car and compare?

Nolan

No because you cannot see the upper arms of the tray while it's installed. That's what I fear may be different. I was going to take a pic and post the one I thought I had for an example but now I can't find it
I better advertise I need one at The Mall.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 05-13-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would bet that they are the same or close enough to make work. I have put aftermarket aluminum radiators in 88's and 86's and no major differences jumped out at me.
Tue distance between the front frame rails was unchanged over the years.....go for it!
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This should answer your question. Listed as the same part for 84 to 88...

http://www.dragtimes.com/pa...RT_200952834359.html

Also here to confirm:
http://www.newgmparts.com/oe-gm/12391169

[This message has been edited by Purple86GT (edited 05-13-2014).]

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies! I was thinking the frame up front may be slightly different because 88 suspensions are but I suppose the tray could he the same or easily modified like I had to for the shroud when I installed the 3 core aluminum radiator. I wish I would've noticed the tray then
I started a wtb at the mall so if anyone has got one they can sell me plz lmk
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did the opposite of what you are asking. I put an 88 support into my 86.

They ARE different, however, they are similar enough to make them fit. On the 88, the front subframe actually attaches to the rear-most radiator support bolt on each side. The 88 support bracket is actually flat with no lip on the edge of the sheet metal in this area to allow it to sandwich between the subframe and the frame.

The 86 bracket has a lip all around the sheet metal edge in this area, you'll need to cut or grind it off so that it can slide in between the subframe and frame. It's very minimal and could easily be done with a pair of tin snips.

There are also a couple of clips that the radiator fan attaches to that are different but are easily swapped between the two parts. The 86 bolts to these clips, but it appears that the 88 just slips into them.

I took some pictures that will explain this better because I remembered seeing this thread, but I can't post them from my android phone.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

I just did the opposite of what you are asking. I put an 88 support into my 86.

They ARE different, however, they are similar enough to make them fit. On the 88, the front subframe actually attaches to the rear-most radiator support bolt on each side. The 88 support bracket is actually flat with no lip on the edge of the sheet metal in this area to allow it to sandwich between the subframe and the frame.

The 86 bracket has a lip all around the sheet metal edge in this area, you'll need to cut or grind it off so that it can slide in between the subframe and frame. It's very minimal and could easily be done with a pair of tin snips.

There are also a couple of clips that the radiator fan attaches to that are different but are easily swapped between the two parts. The 86 bolts to these clips, but it appears that the 88 just slips into them.

I took some pictures that will explain this better because I remembered seeing this thread, but I can't post them from my android phone.

Wow! Huge help Silicoan86! Thanks for all this info. I'll pm you my email addy because pics would be very helpful. I got one coming soon off an 86 and I had a feeling there would be differences because of the ends being so close to the 88's suspension.
Marc
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gokart

4635 posts
Member since May 99
Jon asked me to post the pics in case there are others with this question down the road. With pleasure! Thanks again Jon.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 05-20-2014).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the first 2 pictures...which one came from the 88??
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

For the first 2 pictures...which one came from the 88??

The first one is the 88 bracket (the pic with the blue glove).

Thanks for posting the pics Marc!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock