Started on: 05-11-2014 08:07 PM
Replies: 15 (807 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 05-14-2014 02:36 PM
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The holley model 3739 throttle body unit was introduced in 1985 as a replacement TBI unit for G.M. four cylinder owners clamoring
for more horse power..
The 3739 is single barrel model that offers more airflow than the stock unit .. when combined with a holley intake manifold & after market headers , the system increased horsepower by 25 % ..
The 3739 is compatible with O.E. electronics & may be used in california.
applications are for the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder
CARB executive order no.E.O. D-115-4
I had at one time plan to find one of these, also there is also a model 3210 2 barrel TBI for 85 to 91 V6 that can be adapted to a super duty!!
I took this word for word from a june 1992 car craft magazine page 85
there are very few of these around might check with Holley if you reach a sympathetic holley rep he may even check back into the far reaches of the company
I have lost all other information I had on this Holley
hope some one has more information for the duke lovers here who are smart enough to want great gas MPG
I have live thru a time when there was no gas, available ,it will happen again.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RyanFromMichigan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanFromMichiganSend a Private Message to RyanFromMichiganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very informative (and coherent as well).
Thanks!
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't this the big bore tbi that the Fiero store used to sell? I think they are very hard to find these days. I took the cap off of the fuel pressure adjustment screw on my 85 stock duke tbi and turned up the fuel pressure a little bit and I notice better throttle response.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
25% ?
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

25% ?

well, the S10 version makes 110hp so going from 87->110ish is +26% ...
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope people don't read this and take it seriously.

I have a Holley 3739 TBI. This should say:
"This TBI, along with Holley intake, header, a better cam, headwork, and ECM tuning, will make 25% more power.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And then, After spending all that time and money, you went from 90HP to 112HP ! WOW, what a monster ! A Duke is a decent/Simple, easy to fix, " Gas Mileage engine", Period. You can throw THOUSNDS $ at it and you are still better off with a different engine.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Iron Duke could produce a little more horsepower but it really was/is used as a commuter engine.

If you want to have more horsepower a new engine swap IS the best choice. If you want absolutely astonishing fuel economy (especially for the 80's) Then use the iron duke and drive in style.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Duke performance tip also. Swap in a supercharged 3800.

Jim
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duke and Performance in the same sentence? What do they call that? An Oxymoron...........
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is probably what I should have got for my Indy's SD4.

Datasheet for the Holley 3739
http://www.holley.com/data/...chnical/199R9728.pdf

And a blurb on the TBI here:
http://www.fierofocus.com/a...2%20FieroSecrets.htm

About the closest equivalent today is the 501-12 for the Jeep engine.
It also has the single 2" throttle. I think location of IAC etc. is different.
http://www.holley.com/data/...echnical/R9895-3.pdf
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Holl...ection-/390816995242

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-13-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smart people want an efficient Fiero & low operating cost,High MPG,,,gear heads like my self want something else & often drive in an irresponssible manner & go to fast. a Fiero performance engine is a aluminum block 750 horspower SBC, the man pedal is hanging
on the left handle bar of a 9/10 second E.T. motor cycle a real rush,i can no longer handle a 10 second M.C.quarter miler old age!! 2 year ago I rode one of the 10 second monsters ,now that was scary real performance
I owned an 88 fiero 5 speed duke & it was as much fun to drive as my slightly modified 86 GT 2.8.I own now .It was more than fast enough ,the 84/ 86 duke is underpowered,,many men do not want to have bigger & faster & spend $2000.00 on thier engine compartment so they can hit speeds of 70 MPH & creep in tracffic.
I have found the Fiero is a fun sporty car to own & drive with a Duke ,I love the look of the Fiero . I replaced my Porsche wth an 88 Fiero 5 speed Duke,,(at one time,I had money ), just had to own a Porsche got carried away,,911,944 & 924 there was no noticible difference in the handling & fun driving around town, Of course all the Porsche were faster ,I had 3 at one time,but for 99% of driving there was not any Difference,, the look at me,, look at me false pride was the only difference
the 88 duke ran a blistering 10.2 to 10.9 second, 0 to 60
but many got 38 to 40 happy time MPG hwy
if you want to get 45 mpg HWY from a 87.88 duke Fiero ,install a vacuum gage
if you drive long distance in a 4 speed V6, the vacuum gage will also save you money

The Fiero store Performance TBI was a bored out TBI as show on page 20 of the 2005 catalog
the 25% power increase was just what the story said,, realistically 15 to 18 % was more inline
the fastest Fiero was the super duty 4, with the lowest power super duty running an 14.7 quarter mile ,6.3, 0 to 60
there are men who want a duke in a fun to drive Fiero & some do want more power,but the engine swap is not in thier future
of course we all dream of the smedling 750 horsepower tremec Fiero.Im DROOLING
thanks Fierosound for the duke owners

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-13-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OR, you can have a Duke for an everyday "IN TOWN" economy car, AND another GT with a 3800SC all set up ALSO !
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love my 85 duke 5 speed that is de-smogged for buzzing around the Ocala National Forest, it's a blast to drive and sounds good too. I don't have the $$$ or the mechanical tools or ability to do an engine swap.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
didn't a forum member build a 190hp duke?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I "Believe" that building a high HP Duke is like building a high HP old VW Engine, you CAN get them to "RUN" like a scalded dog, But, For How LONG ?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock