Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Please look at pic and tell me what I'm missing.....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Please look at pic and tell me what I'm missing..... by Gokart
Started on: 05-11-2014 08:06 PM
Replies: 15 (420 views)
Last post by: zmcdonal on 05-12-2014 05:06 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
....to install my antenna again

This is the source that goes to the back of the stereo but what attaches to this so the antenna can be installed? I'm sure I have it somewhere but a pic would be extremely helpful to help me remember what it looks like!
Thanks. Marc
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There should be three holes on the top of the inner fender to mount that antenna base. As it is currently (incorrectly) mounted the antenna would stick out the passenger side of the car towards the car in the next lane. It should be relocated to the top side so that it points upwards ... through the hole in the fender.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Understood, thank-you. I remember now I was attempting a mod to have the antenna under the fender and out if sight. Saw it here at some point. I must have abondened it! Wish I could remember what I was doing

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 05-11-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally, there were three screw holes on the top of the frame rail. That is where the triangular base plate mounted and the antenna screwed onto it.

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make a little bracket to mount the antenna running along the top of the wheel well. The antenna is held in place by the wheel well liner.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

Make a little bracket to mount the antenna running along the top of the wheel well. The antenna is held in place by the wheel well liner.

Joe Sokol

Great idea and thanks for the pic Boostdreamer.

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or just shove the antenna up the A pillar and glass the hole over. Least that's my eventual plan.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the under the fender thing on mine. I slipped a piece of vinyl tubing I had laying around over the mast to keep it from rattling inside the fender.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Or just shove the antenna up the A pillar and glass the hole over. Least that's my eventual plan.

Up the a pillar though, wouldnt the metal block the signal?
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried putting mine up the A pillar and got like zero reception. Is there some kind of secret? Seems like the base needs be grounded or you will not get a signal. Currently I have mine mounted under the fender and the reception is very poor. I don't know if the bracket I used is big enough or what the problem is but the reception is terrible, better than in the A pillar but still unacceptable.

Originally posted by Gokart:

I wonder if your idea would work better, and just bend the antenna mast at like 90 degrees after it is screwed on?

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 05-12-2014).]

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

I tried putting mine up the A pillar and got like zero reception. Is there some kind of secret? Seems like the base needs be grounded or you will not get a signal. Currently I have mine mounted under the fender and the reception is very poor. I don't know if the bracket I used is big enough or what the problem is but the reception is terrible, better than in the A pillar but still unacceptable.

I wonder if your idea would work better, and just bend the antenna mast at like 90 degrees after it is screwed on?

I think I remember I was going to pick up a 90 degree adapter and try that. I may have already and just forgot I did and will find it when I finally get around to organizing my shed!
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does the antenna cable attach to the base? Its it a press-fit or does it unscrew?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

How does the antenna cable attach to the base? Its it a press-fit or does it unscrew?

Screws/unscrews
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The metal bracket needs to be grounded. The metal mast needs to NOT touch any metal. The vinyl sleeve may work.
Ideally, you want the antenna to be as far from any metal as possible.
If you live out in the sticks, i don't expect that this will work really well. In the city might be a different story.

There are antenna kits available that apply to your windshield or back window like a sticker. Clear plastic with a gridwork of wires. It might be worth the trouble to look into one of those.

Couldn't find any of those, but I found these.
The first one is more expensive, but otherwise appears to be the same ...

http://www.crutchfield.com/...nd-WPA1-Antenna.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/...w-mount-Antenna.html

YMMV

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

There are antenna kits available that apply to your windshield or back window like a sticker. Clear plastic with a gridwork of wires. It might be worth the trouble to look into one of those.

YMMV

I used one like that from Amazon for $9.99 on a truck. What actually did is added it to the factory antenna. In the dash behind the radio I added a Y adapter so I coudl run the stock antenna and also the new one. I stuck the new one to the underside of the upper dash, no one even knows it is there.

"car window antenna"

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-12-2014).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The metal bracket needs to be grounded. The metal mast needs to NOT touch any metal. The vinyl sleeve may work.
Ideally, you want the antenna to be as far from any metal as possible.
If you live out in the sticks, i don't expect that this will work really well. In the city might be a different story.

When I first attempted to put the antenna in the A pillar I could not get any reception so I ran a wire from the metal base to the body of the car to where the base originally mounts to ground it, and that did not seem to work very well either. Shouldn't that have done the trick? I don't see how anyone has completed this "mod" and been happy with the results. I live just outside of Chicago, and the stations have always come in with a very strong signal until I tried to hide the antenna, which I only tried because I read on here that so many people have done it and it works great. Well that and because the previous owner mounted a power antenna in the fender, did a horrible job and filled the original hole so I thought I would try this.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock