LX5 Throttle body with Fiero cable by KaijuSenso
Started on: 05-11-2014 05:15 PM
Replies: 10 (614 views)
Last post by: KaijuSenso on 05-31-2014 10:33 PM
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm upgrading my 3400 to the 65mm LX5 Shortstar throttle body (with matching intake port work). Does anyone have any pictures or hints for how to attach the throttle cable? My car is an 86 GT and with the 3400 throttle body, I was able to easily modify the bracket to slide in the conduit and the loop at the end was large enough to fit into the plastic lever. The LX5 throttle body has a different bracket and lever.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ill be waiting to see replies on this as well, when i move my LX9 to my 88, ill be swapping to the LX5 TB.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to PM Rickady88GT as he had a 3.5L Short Star in his 88 GT for several years.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is some info on how I rigged up my LX5 throttle body.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/127251-4.html#p122
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks masospaghetti, that was helpful. If nobody else posts up some info I'll make sure to try and document mine as well as I can once I get it together.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here's how I did my LS1 TB:

the LS1 TB used a barrel on the end of the cable instead of an eye like the fiero, so I just through bolted the eye to the linkage.

Edit:

The LS1 TB pulls from the rear, I had planned to do something very similar with the S* throttle I had too though, by taking the linkage apart and putting it back together. My intake also point the other direction compared to most swaps...

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 05-13-2014).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I made the modifications to the stock LX5 throttle bracket for use with my Fiero's stock cable. I made no modifications to the cable itself.

The top of the throttle lever has a small cut in the end that I was able to loop the cable around (you can see the circle stick out the side). This was just the easiest way to use all of the components with the least modification possible. Another idea I had was to do this and then continue to wrap the cable and attached the circle to the cruise control boss. This would require the bracket to be cut almost 1 inch shorter then I did.

Overall the bracket had about 1/2 inch cut out of the two sections (as well as the large section on the bottom that blocks exhaust heat from the underside of the throttle body) and it was welded back together. The conduit end clipped perfectly into the stock location on the bracket so all that needs to be done is make the distance from the conduit end to wrap around the lever shorter.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

btw, i used one of these on the 3400 TB i have on my car now.
http://www.autozone.com/aut...-Stop-Clamp/_/N-25g8

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

btw, i used one of these on the 3400 TB i have on my car now.
http://www.autozone.com/aut...-Stop-Clamp/_/N-25g8

Yeah that would look better, and was suggested. Eventually I may get around to doing that but it isn't all that important to me.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just an idea KaijuSenso, take the LX5 cable guide and slot is at the end so you can fit the fiero eyelet through it, the just run a bolt through the hole for the stock LX5 cable barrel. it'll make for a much cleaner install.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 05-31-2014).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

just an idea KaijuSenso, take the LX5 cable guide and slot is at the end so you can fit the fiero eyelet through it, the just run a bolt through the hole for the stock LX5 cable barrel. it'll make for a much cleaner install.

I've seen that done before and considered it briefly but now I would need a longer bracket to do that! There would be too much slop in the cable. Another idea to keep in mind when I'm cleaning up the swap for shows.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock