Headrest speaker question 1985 GT leather seats by Lou and Blue
Started on: 05-09-2014 11:23 PM
Replies: 11 (584 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 05-12-2014 09:31 AM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my drivers side headrest, only the outer speaker works. In the pass side, both of them work. It may be possible that I have the polarity switched on the front dash speaker so I will check that, but what could cause only one speaker to work in the drivers seat headrest? The wiring to each seat only has two wires correct?
Thanks
I was told that if I disconnect the front speaker and reconnect it , that may make both headrest speakers work in the seat, but I changed my dash speakers (obviously doing that disconnected and reconnected the wires) but it didn't fix the issue of only the outer speaker working. The one that works doesn't seem blown , it sounds fine, but the inner one on that side is silent. I'd really rather not have to take the seat skin off.
Thanks

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Each seat should have four wires going to it. Two for each speaker.
Your likely choices are either a cut/broken/disconnected wire, or a blown speaker.
I'm betting on the blown speaker.

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But wouldn't a blown speaker make a godawful sound? Not just be silent. I'm hoping its a cut wire somewhere accessible. Are there connectors anywhere that I can look for (other than inside the seat or at the back of the radio) ?
Thanks for your help.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the voice coil is burnt completely in half no it would not make any sound,

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 05-10-2014).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the 84 and 85, there are 4 wires in each seat harness. Two for each of the speakers. When installing 85GT seats into an 86 or later Fiero, you will have only 2 wires going to each of the B pillar speakers. You must cut and splice and route wires from the passenger side, over to the driver's side in order to power the second seat speaker. Likewise for the passenger side, you must connect wiring from the driver's side speaker to power the second speaker. Just match wiring colors. I've found the task to be much easier by cutting wiring from a junkyard 84 or 85 to allow me to tap into the chassis harness and plug directly to the headrest speaker harness.
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Each seat should have four wires going to it. Two for each speaker.
Your likely choices are either a cut/broken/disconnected wire, or a blown speaker.
I'm betting on the blown speaker.

I agree with him, sometimes they will make no sound at all, my Burb has rear roof mounted speakers that have a woofer and a tweeter and the woofer was shot but the tweeter still worked so I have seen just one speaker go before, it is not all that unusual. you could also have a bad wire going to the seat or in the seat.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe this will be some help.

If u decide u need new speakers, I have a set of Polk replacements i bought but no longer have the headrest speaker seats.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068459.html

Actually, i have a lot of speakers of you need them, including 4x6 for the rear that i haven't posted yet.
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the connector from the seat to the wires is visible if you move the seat all the way forward and come from the outside back and feel for it.(at least on my ragged seats). check the connection and trace back along the ground to the radio. could be a door sill screw cut it or any other possibility. if all wiring is good, then its the speaker.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, I sure hope its a wiring issue outside of the seat. I dread the thought of having to replace the headrest speakers. My leather seats are sooooooo nice !

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. That is until I can find a 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

Man, I sure hope its a wiring issue outside of the seat. I dread the thought of having to replace the headrest speakers. My leather seats are sooooooo nice !

Don't worry too much. If necessary, i bet an upholstery shop could do the job easily and cheaply. Peeling off the seat cover and replacing plug-n-play speakers should b easy for an upholsterer. Maybe you wanna add a seat heater while you're at it
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing and replacing the seatback covers isn't a big thing. They unzip, peel off by turning them inside out, then reverse and zip up. Kind of like taking off a pair of socks and putting them back on. Just pay attention to how the metal rods inside are installed.
PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really? Hmmm then it may be worth changing the speakers out for new anyway, and of course fix any connection issues while I'm in there.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. That is until I can find a 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: