Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Chime+Dash lights when brakes are applied, why??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Chime+Dash lights when brakes are applied, why?? by jschmidt95
Started on: 05-09-2014 07:59 PM
Replies: 6 (455 views)
Last post by: grkboy707 on 05-16-2014 09:19 PM
jschmidt95

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2.8L SE Notchback

Two days ago, I changed two brake light bulbs on the passenger side. Now, when I press the brake pedal far enough for the brake lights to come on, the interior lights dim, the dash lights come on very dim, and the voltage drops. If the engine is off, the chime also rings. I'm trying to figure this out fast, I think it might be a bad ground, any suggestions?

Also I did not have this problem or anything like it before I changed the bulbs. Maybe I pinched a wire when I put the assemblies back in...?

-John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes you must have pinched a wire somewhere.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First check fuses.

then check bulb sockets...
See my Cave, Sneak Path

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

jimmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmoSend a Private Message to jimmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad grounds always cause weird problems like that. Dash lights coming on "dim" has bad ground written all over it. Also, be sure they are the correct new bulbs.
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, It ended up being a faulty bulb. I made the assumption that the bulbs new in the package were good. one of them was straight connected across the leads inside, versus through the tungsten filament.
New bulb fixed it.
here's another one for the archives. Thanks everyone
bobace455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobace455Send a Private Message to bobace455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I am a little late, but how could you tell which bulb it was? I am having the exact same issue. All of my bulbs are working correctly however.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen similar problems where I get a repair order that simply states "customer states dash lights come on when brakes are applied". What they neglected to mention is that the customer decided try their hand at replacing the bulb themselves, and put a single filiment bulb into a dual filiment socket, causing it to short whenever applied.

Long story short, if something starts acting up after you do something, start with whatever you just did and see what could've gone wrong.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock