can it be done safely by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 05-07-2014 01:39 PM
Replies: 10 (314 views)
Last post by: Lambo nut on 05-08-2014 06:15 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can a Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge be used as a Fuel pressure gauge ? both using copper tubing ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you planning to install the gauge in the car permanently or just use it to check the fuel pressure as a diagnostic aid? The former is insane unless one wishes to experience self cremation should the gauge spring a leak, the latter should be feasible, a mech pressure gauge is a mech gauge. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't measure gasoline pressure instead of oil pressure.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"what is it" that makes a Fuel pressure gauge "any safer" than an oil pressure gauge ? (Both having liquid to leak) yes ,I know gas explodes ,oil doesn't. But if "Plumbed properly", " After" I get my Dash MADE, I would like to have a fuel pressure in the dash along with all the others, oil, volt, boost, vacuum ,temp, fuel etc. But for OUTside Temporary use, an oil pressure gauge Could be used to monitor fuel pressure after changing a pump)
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any fluid under pressure in the passenger compartment IMO is not a great idea.
You can install an electrical gauge for pressure and run the wires.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

"what is it" that makes a Fuel pressure gauge "any safer" than an oil pressure gauge ? (Both having liquid to leak) yes ,I know gas explodes ,oil doesn't. But if "Plumbed properly", " After" I get my Dash MADE, I would like to have a fuel pressure in the dash along with all the others, oil, volt, boost, vacuum ,temp, fuel etc. But for OUTside Temporary use, an oil pressure gauge Could be used to monitor fuel pressure after changing a pump)

Gasoline is a solvent, it will degrade seals over time, especially if there are any materials in an oil pressure gauge not suitable for gasoline. The only safe way to use a mechanical fuel gauge in the dash is to install an isolator in the fuel line and connect the gauge to that. Here is one made by autometer, the isolator stays in the engine compartment. http://www.autometer.com/ca...sdetail.aspx?vid=164
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment for any engine that has a Schrader valve for checking the pressure buy one of these and do it right: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-74745
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

Any fluid under pressure in the passenger compartment IMO is not a great idea.
You can install an electrical gauge for pressure and run the wires.

Ive had dozens of cars myself that had mechanical oil pressure gauges in the dash (or under) that had plastic or copper line to it. I never had a single problem, and never heard of anyone else having a problem either unless they didnt do a good install. In older cars, they came from the factory with them. Personally I like real gauges for temp, oil and battery instead of electric ones or idiot lights.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In a Fiero you could likley mount the fuel pressure guage to be visible out the back window while driving, even seen by the mirror.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mechanical gauges generally can be used for both oil and fuel, and it can be done safely. You just really have to think the system through carefully to make sure leaks won't be catastrophic (i.e. fuel should never be able to leak onto something that could ignite it). There are a number of companies that make universal mechanical gauges. Since a Fiero is a mid-engine car, the fuel line length to the dash is longer than most other cars. Personally, I think you are better off with an electronic gauge, since you can minimize the length of fuel lines and minimize the number of connections that could leak.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would use something like this isolator if it were me.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/...ducts/DM-CGI2240.asp

I have done the oil pressure gauges in the passenger compartment with both nylon and copper lines myself in the past, but would never do fuel.

Kevin
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lambo nut

4442 posts
Member since Sep 2003
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave