Adding fuel pressure gauge to a duke by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 05-07-2014 08:58 AM
Replies: 10 (246 views)
Last post by: DLCLK87GT on 05-14-2014 07:57 AM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long story short, our 88 2M4 refuses to run properly and I was told by a couple members on here to hook up a fuel gauge…even though the tank, sending unit, pump and filter are all new.
How do I do this? I have the gauge and the adapter but to put the adapter on, I have to bend the fuel line in such a way that I lose an inch of length. My problem is that the line is bigger (5/8”?) than standard tubing benders will accept, most max out at 3/8”. I don’t want to break/crimp it by just bending it by hand because getting a replacement might be an issue. How have others have done it??? And the line is off the car now sitting on my work bench.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put my valve down at the fuel filter and ran my hose up and taped the gauge to the back window. Took it all out when I was finished. (Is it as accurate as hooking it up at the TB. That I can't answer. It solved my problem though). Just make sure you tie the hose back so it doesn't get caught up in the pulley's or burn through on the exhaust.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both type test adapter go fuel filter.
See my Cave, TBI Test Adaptor
Adapters are not make to be used all the time.

Do Not bent lines. If needed, Remove clamps holding lines and make sure NOTHING will hit them.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Both type test adapter go fuel filter.

i read somewhere on here that it went to the TB and "creative bending" of the line was required.

Originally posted by theogre:
Do Not bent lines. If needed, Remove clamps holding lines and make sure NOTHING will hit them.

I tried this and even with it all unhooked it still won't work without bending the line. Will use filter. Thanks once again.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 05-07-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alrighty then! I added the adapter to the exit of my fuel filter, hooked up the gauge, turn the key to on, I hear the pump whining, fuel gauge goes up to 9/10psi, pump shuts off, if I hold down the bleed button on the gauge gas comes out and the gauge drops to 0 but I don't hear the pump kick back on. If I turn the key off, then on again, pump comes on, gauge goes to 9/10, try and start it it cranks, does the same old thing (cough, sputter, fart) but wont start and the gauge drops to 0 while cranking with the bleeder open. Do the same with the bleeder shut and it stays at 9/10.
So what does this all mean?????
Again I think I've replaced everything that I can and it still will not run worth a damn. Only way to get her to run is if I manually operate the TB (crack open the blade and manually meter the throttle) this will get it to run but it sounds terrible and is obviously not right. HELP!!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like a new pump should do better than 9/10 psi.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Sounds like you got a bad pump. New parts can be bad, had it happen all the time at the factory.

Steve
------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-13-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

according to the cave, "pump should do between 9 and 13 PSI all years"
I've got no problem changing out my new pump again but am tired of throwing parts at this car with no results. Not to mention I don't think there's anything left to throw at her that I haven't already...again with no results. I paid $500 for this car and am well past that in parts....and it still wont idle/run.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not change it either... just seems a little odd....like maybe it's getting low voltage or a ground is messed up.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And just to add; I'm not being snotty but am just at my wits end here with this one....my Formula sat in a field for 8-9 years and she fired right up. Sure it needed some tinkering but it always improved with the new parts, this just stays the same.
It's incredibly frustrating.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
going back to the original thread, please post there. Thanks! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2490-2.html#lastpost
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock