Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  FIERO GT QUARTER WINDOWS SAIL PANEL - Do this to fix(the look) of your cracked ones.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
FIERO GT QUARTER WINDOWS SAIL PANEL - Do this to fix(the look) of your cracked ones. by hcforde
Started on: 05-06-2014 06:07 PM
Replies: 14 (1187 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 05-08-2014 04:45 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeClick Here to Email hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a good fix for an updated look for some of us, but not if you are looking to restore to the original look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5N-AYaENI

I am planning to make a mold copy of my good ones in a few weeks and create some copies and do this to a couple of my GT's

------------------
Just got a Fiero, plan on getting another Fiero soon. It will be my third. My first was purchased in 1984 but sold in 1990.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageClick Here to Email hookdonspeedSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:

This is a good fix for an updated look for some of us, but not if you are looking to restore to the original look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5N-AYaENI

I am planning to make a mold copy of my good ones in a few weeks and create some copies and do this to a couple of my GT's

3m makes a very good thick carbon fiber wrap.
IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 242
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People have done this for years. Just buy flat black spray paint, light gray, bright silver, and either gloss or flat clearcoat. I have made real carbon fiber sail panels and quarter windows for people over the years and if you want to save some money, I would definately go with what hookdonspeed recommends. It looks great and also can be clearcoated with gloss if you want. At least that way you can get the 2x2 twill pattern and look semi-realistic.

This is from member American Exotic on here. You can't really see the pattern but you get the idea.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-06-2014).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 242
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a 24"x60" roll which is more than enough to do a set of quarter windows. It is $9.88 and free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-...em20cdb67964&vxp=mtr

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeClick Here to Email hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember seeing a lot of people talking here on the topic, but could find nothing as far as inexpensive solutions go. This seems to be an easy fix.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But you also end up with a colossal blind spot...
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

And a sail panel that probably doesn't match your body color, or window tint. Looks better than cracked ones (at least on the front side), but still looks out of place.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 95
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

And a sail panel that probably doesn't match your body color, or window tint. Looks better than cracked ones (at least on the front side), but still looks out of place.

Totally agree... I think the car would look better if you just removed the window and left it open.

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageClick Here to Email hookdonspeedSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Totally agree... I think the car would look better if you just removed the window and left it open.

looks like crap without something covering it, if you wana leave it open get the open ones from fierofiberglass

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeClick Here to Email hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Hmmmm............something like the Lotus Europa I owned back in the 70's. I looked at the one from the link above and it does seem to create a blind spot doesn't it. I guess that means we have to put cameras in our dash.

I get the idea you guys don't like the idea...................Well, seemed like a good idea at the time. LOL!!!! I am not invested in the idea, I just came across the video and thought I would share it. Don't people that chop their tops have a similar sight issue though?
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeClick Here to Email hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That big hunk of solid sail really does nothing for the esthetics of the car now that I look at it closer. I have 3 GT's I need both panels for. They cost $220 a pair though. What I need is to make left and right side forms and mold some Lexan over it. Then put some tint on it, or have some film silk screened/printed.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:

That big hunk of solid sail really does nothing for the esthetics of the car now that I look at it closer. I have 3 GT's I need both panels for. They cost $220 a pair though. What I need is to make left and right side forms and mold some Lexan over it. Then put some tint on it, or have some film silk screened/printed.

Just buy the replacements from kahines. They're not exact OEM reproductions, but he offers a tinted option, and they are like half the price of the ones from The Fiero Store.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (49)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I think this is a terrible idea for the sail panels, I have to give you a thumbs up because I thought the video was pretty cool. I think it would sweet to do this to the side mirrors on the Fiero, maybe even on the whole car if you were going with plastidip anyways...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or the open ones from Fiero Fiberglass... much better than a solid panel look.

JimmyS covered his with a kind of canvas they look good in person.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeClick Here to Email hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

While I think this is a terrible idea for the sail panels, I have to give you a thumbs up because I thought the video was pretty cool. I think it would sweet to do this to the side mirrors on the Fiero, maybe even on the whole car if you were going with plastidip anyways...

After looking at the pic with the solid sail I have to agree it is a terrible idea.

I am considering dipping one of my Fiero's. The interior and the engine are great. It was garaged all of its life and I am the 3rd owner. I will use it as my get-around car until I do what needs to be done with my other 4 Fiero's. I want to do my own painting but I do not have the time for it right now, so dipping I will do. The sails on this car have those micro cracks. I am going to try and get a couple of sails and make a silicon mold then a plaster mold to create some sails with the correct curvature. I owned a plastics company years ago where I designed and manufactured medical products by thermal forming and injection molding. This should be pretty easy, all I need is the time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock