Rear Wing Install by NW-Fiero
Started on: 05-05-2014 02:26 PM
Replies: 7 (803 views)
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 05-07-2014 10:46 AM
NW-Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just acquired a Fiero Rear Wing and am looking to install. Is there a template for drill hole locations, reinforcing, etc The manuals show nothing in the Body Section concerning the wing.

A photo of the inside trunk mounting would be helpful also

Thanks,

'85 2m6 3.4
------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

[This message has been edited by NW-Fiero (edited 05-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the bottom side of the decklid there are two little round spots, one on each side. This is where one spoiler hole should be drilled for each side. If you hold the wingstand up to that and measure you can figure out how far back to drill the other one.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-07-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Make sure you seal it well, otherwise you'll end up with a trunk full of water.

Have you thought of trading someone for their decklid with a wing already mounted? Unmolested decklids like yours (no holes) are in demand.
NW-Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll take a closer look for the marks. Should there be additional bracing beside a large washer to distribute the force on the desk?

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NW-Fiero:

Thanks, I'll take a closer look for the marks. Should there be additional bracing beside a large washer to distribute the force on the desk?

Nope, factory wings only have a small washer anyway.
I did this once on my 86 notchback. I put some painters tape over the area where the holes would be (on the paint side). After drilling those 1st 2 from the bottom up, I closed teh decklid. I mounted the stands on the wing and set the 2 studs in the decklid holes and marked where the other 2 studs touched the decklid (while the spoiler was attached) just to make sure it was all square. I recommend a friend helping and maybe something on the paint so you dont scratch anything thats nice.

If you have a common paint color, or are repainting later anyway, you could do like Patrick said, alot of people these days like the wingless look.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-07-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just checked my 86SE with wing and a deck lid from a Formula and a deck lid from my 87GT. Only the 87 GT has a recess where 2 of the studs are located. The 86 and 88 notchback lids do not. Both notchback lids do have what appears to be a button on the rib flange on each side. Moving outward from that button there's a small arc in the flange. The rear most stud comes through the flange just where the flange widens out again.

The retainer nuts on all 3 of the cars i have are of the type with the washer attached to the nut. Similar to the ones that hold the headlight assemblies in place. When replacing the wing, I use a little butyl rubber windshield setting tape or some RTV placed around and in the hole on the paint side. This keeps the water from getting to the nut and rusting it to the stud. It doesn't show because it's covered by the stand gasket. For a little added protection, put some sealant on the bottom side before installing the hold down nut with washer. The washer not only helps spread the load, but keeps the nut from cutting into the deck lid.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some more info:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130406.html

Found this vid that may be a little helpful, however they are using a fastback which has a different deckild than a notchie, they are installing lower wingstands that are set back farther. TLG makes good stuff.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed one years ago. I think I put a drop of paint on the studs and placeing the spoiler on the trunk so I would know where to drill. keep in mind it should be centered.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock