Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What to look for in used 3800 superchargers? Noises OK?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What to look for in used 3800 superchargers? Noises OK? by smartaxel
Started on: 05-04-2014 02:49 PM
Replies: 2 (133 views)
Last post by: smartaxel on 05-04-2014 08:51 PM
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted a replacement 3800sc 2 supercharger. I went to the junkyards and ended up buying one that seemed tight and quiet, but once I got it home and blew out the dust and "crap" if you spin it by hand, you can hear a bit of noise coming from the blower vanes. Is this normal with the SC off the car? I held the vanes and there is no side-to-side action and the snout seems tight, an I can't even wiggle the vanes, but when spinning by hand its pretty quiet for a few rotations then you hear a slight metal clang noise from inside the blower housing, then quiet again. There are some scratches inside the van edges, but this one had far less scratching then the others I'd looked at. I blew it out and (lightly) wipped off the dust and junk from inside the blower. I used no chemicals, nor wiped hard so I wouldn't damage the teflon. It'd been sitting on a junkyard shelf for quite a while and had all kinda of dust inside. Is this occasional noise normal when the blower is off the car and what do you guys look for in junkyard superchargers if this isn't normal?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd open it up and check (very easy), sounds like someone May have dropped a bolt inside. was the screen still on the Throttle body when you removed the blower ??you Don't want that blower getting ANYTHING between it's Vanes.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were anything like a bolt, I imagine they wouldnt spin and would bind though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock