Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Mounting 2000 Firebird CD Player int Fiero and Have a question on the MOUNTING TABS?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Mounting 2000 Firebird CD Player int Fiero and Have a question on the MOUNTING TABS? by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 05-04-2014 09:44 AM
Replies: 4 (103 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 05-05-2014 01:29 PM
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Click Here to Email FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a "plug and play" 2000 Firebird CD player for my Fiero (came with harness and antenna adapter and was tested to be in working condition). But, it's anything but "plug and play" once you try putting it in, lol.

First, the rear mount plate that the rubber locating pin has to be removed or modified as the 2000 CD player is longer than the OEM Fiero unit. Second, the mounting tabs on the 2000 unit are PART of the radio outter cover/chassis and are not adjustable. Just a pair of cheap sheet metal ears and they are not at the correct depth on the chassis to place the new unit at the proper position where the radio trim bezel is flush when you screw it down. The new one sits about 3/16" INSIDE the dash when installed using the oem mounting tabs/ears.

Does anyone have a good way they solved this issue that isn't just using washers? Just curious.

Thanks!
Gary
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 452
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think I used washers with mine. Caught the edge of the metal tab under the edge of one of the screws. Sounds "ghetto" but once it's in, it isn't going anywhere.
I think I left the post on the back of mine. I certainly didn't have to remove the bracket from the front edge of the console.

I did find that all the wiring harness/adapters seemed to get in the way. Made it hard to push the radio into place.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

rbell2915

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Click Here to Email rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, just use washers. I used about four on either side and it lines up perfectly. It took a bit of messing around to mount it right though. But it's easy.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Click Here to Email FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies! Washers it is!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey how do you like your new car?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock