Bleed Air Out of Clutch Line by FieroGT1986
Started on: 05-04-2014 08:04 AM
Replies: 4 (326 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 05-05-2014 08:56 AM
FieroGT1986

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT1986Send a Private Message to FieroGT1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some air in my clutch line. I can work it out by pumping my clutch pedal then shifting when needed. I would like to work the air out and replace the master/slave. I thought I read a thread with someone saying conect a clear plastic tube around the bleeder valve and work the clutch?? Any thoughts? Not much a a mechanic but I can turn a wrench. 86 V6 5 spd. Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bleeder threads will allow air to be pulled in around them, even with a hose installed on the nipple and inserted into a container of fluid. The other problem with pumping is that you break up any air bubbles into tiny ones that later will coagulate to form the original large bubbles.

Pressure bleeding is a good method, but few have pressure bleeders. The method I, and I stress I, have found to be most effective and require the fewest tools is to gravity bleed the system. Tools needed are a jack, 13mm wrench, 13mm socket and ratchet if the bleeder is difficult, and a heavy tool. The ratchet is sufficient if you needed to use it. A large towel to place under the slave for the purpose of catching fluid.

Jack up the drivers side or front of the car until the left front wheel is off the ground. Without a jack, you can place the car on a steep incline at a 45 degree angle with the left front wheel being the highest.

Using a 13mm wrench or socket, loosen then snug the bleeder valve.
Remove the cap on the master cylinder. and using an absorbent cloth, remove all old fluid and black gunk.
Fill the reservoir to the top.
Keep the can of fluid open and handy to refill the reservoir.
Now, using the 13mm wrench, open the slave bleeder and allow the fluid to flow.
Give a few raps on the side of the slave with the ratchet or heavy tool to break loose any air bubbles stuck to the wall of the slave.
Keep an eye on the reservoir and top it off before the fluid level reaches the bottom.
Return to the slave and give it a few raps with your heavy tool.
Do this until you've filled the reservoir for the 3rd time. This allows enough fluid to flow through the system, removing air and filling with new fluid.
When the fluid drops to the FULL line, close the bleeder with your wrench.
Replace the reservoir cap and rubber seal.
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a DIY home made pressure bleeder on you tube a while back, let me see if I can find it again. it is the best way to bleed hydraulic clutch and brake lines.

Ayup, here is one,

http://youtu.be/Mdcn1USVQ-w

Fairly simple to make and sooooo handy for us Fiero owners! you just need a spare cap that you can drill a hole into for the clutch and one for the brakes as they are each different.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I changed my slave cylinder I had my neighbor press the clutch to the floor and hold it , I opened the slave bleed allowed it to squirt air And fluid, tightened it and he let off and I repeated this process endless times while makin sure the master was full as he let off each time and walla ! Now it's nicey nice!

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

When I changed my slave cylinder I had my neighbor press the clutch to the floor and hold it , I opened the slave bleed allowed it to squirt air And fluid, tightened it and he let off and I repeated this process endless times while makin sure the master was full as he let off each time and walla ! Now it's nicey nice!

I haven't done this yet, but that is what I was expecting, just like bleeding brakes...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock